In Peoria, April 18, 1888, by the Rev. M. Hurley, James H. Harrover, aged 29, to Miss Agatha Blank, aged 25, both of Peoria. (Peoria Weekly Journal, Thursday, April 26, 1888, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Mr. John Harty, of Princeville, and Miss Nell Crahan, of
Brimfield, were united in marriage at St. Joseph's church, Brimfield, by Rev.
Father Moynihan, on Tuesday morning, October 15, 1895, at 9 o'clock. Mr. Frank
Bole, of Edelstein, was best man and Miss Kate Flanagan, of Peoria, acted as
maid of honor. After the ceremony the wedding party partook of an elegant dinner
at the residence of the bride's parents, after which they took the evening train
for Peoria where they will visit a few weeks and then leave for Galesburg. They
expect to be at home to their friends at Princeville after Nov. 1st, where the
groom has fitted up a lovely home for the bride. Miss Crahan, one of Brimfield's
young society ladies , will be greatly missed by her friends. Mr. Harty is one
of Princeville's young business men. (Brimfield News,
Thursday, Oct. 17, 1895, submitted by Janine Crandell)
The many friends of Mr. S. T. Henry, of Monica and Miss Lois I. Moore, of Brimfield, will be pleased to learn of their marriage on Wednesday, February 23rd.
The ceremony was performed at 6:30 p. m. at the home of the bride’s parents; Mr. and Mrs. Frank Belford, of Brimfield, Rev. C. T. Cady, of Brimfield performed the ceremony.
Mr. and Mrs. Henry will spend a short time in Chicago, after which they will take up residence in the McManus Cottage at Monica.
The bride is a daughter of Mrs. Frank Belford, and grew to womanhood at Brimfield, where she has a host of friends. She graduated from the Deaconess Hospital Training school for nurses, and had followed her profession since.
Mr. Henry grew to manhood on a farm near Princeville. For a number of years past has been engaged in the mercantile business, for a time at Averyville, later at Princeville and for the past few years at Monica.
(Princeville Telephone, March 24, 1910, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Herbert Marion Hicks, 34, Rosefield Township, and Augusta B. Berry, 26, Wyoming. (Peoria Journal, Tuesday, Sep 23, 1913, submitted by Janine Crandell)
At Peoria, April 3, 1888, by the Rev. M. Hurley, Charles M. Hurd, aged 22, of Elmwood, to Miss Jennie O'Shaughnessy, aged 22, of Peoria. (Peoria Weekly Journal, Thursday, April 26, 1888, submitted by Janine Crandell)
At Peoria, April 18, 1888, by the Rev. M. Hurley, Albert W. Hussung, aged 28, to Miss Molly O'Connell, aged 23, both of Peoria. (Peoria Weekly Journal, Thursday, April 26, 1888, submitted by Janine Crandell)
George Jackson, 21, Peoria, and Miss Ethel Collins, 19, Peoria. (Peoria Journal, Tuesday, Sep 23, 1913, submitted by Janine Crandell)
One of the
prettiest of Autumn weddings took place at high noon
8, when Miss Bertha Francis Doubet became the
bride of Mr. Frank
Llewellyn Johnson, at the home of the bride's parents,
Mr. and Mrs. Peter
Doubet, three miles east of Hanna City.
Promptly at the appointed hour the wedding party entered the east parlor to the strains of Lohnengrin's wedding march, played by Miss Esther Wagler of Peoria.
First came the bride's maid, Miss Eleanor Amelia Frye, of Dunlap, gowned in pink georgette of satin, carrying an armful of pink rose buds and the groom's man, Mr. Roy Doubet, brother of the bride. Following came the ring bearer, tiny Lloyd Doubet, with a white satin pillow with the wedding ring hidden in the center of a lily heart.
Then came the bride and groom, taking their places under a large flowered bell, where the Baptist ring ceremony was used and the services read by the Rev. Joseph Hazen, of Peoria. In her gown of pearl trimmed georgette over satin, carrying a shower bouquet of white roses, her tulle vail caught from her fluffy hair, the bride was truly a pretty picture.
After congratulations the guests were invited into a large dining room where, amid a profusion of flowers and bright colored autumn leaves, covers were laid for sixty-five quests.
Miss Doubet is the youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Doubet, is one of the most talented as well as popular young ladies in the younger set of Hanna City.
Mr. Johnson is a farmer and the oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Johnson. The young couple left at 4:30 o'clock for an extended trip through the east and will be at home to their many friends after November 15, on their farm east of Hanna City. The quests from afar were Dr. and Mrs. B. F. Elder, Mr. and Mrs. Pollok, R. B. Robertson, Miss Minnie Bailey, Miss Esther Wagler, Miss Edna Wagler, Mrs. Mary Faylor and daughter, Marquia, Jas. Bentx, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Frye, Fred Frye, Ward Frye, Mr. and Mrs. George Schnider, Mr. and Mrs. B. Fuston, Howard Fuston and Emma Schnider. (Glasford Gazette, October 16, 1919, submitted by Linda Johnson)
At Peoria, April 23, 1888, by Barrett White, J. P., Albert Kantak, aged 28, of Cullom, Ill., to Miss Emma Schoaff, aged 29, of Peoria. (Peoria Weekly Journal, Thursday, May 17, 1888, submitted by Janine Crandell)
At Peoria, May 24, 1888, by the Rev. Alexander Smith, Ransom Kelly, aged 30, to Miss Stella O'Neill, aged 17, both of Peoria. (Peoria Weekly Journal, Thursday, June 7, 1888, submitted by Janine Crandell)
At Peoria, April 25, 1888, by the Rev. A. F. Irwin, Joseph C. Kennedy, aged 25, to Miss Mary Tracy, aged 22, both of Peoria. (Peoria Weekly Journal, Thursday, May 17, 1888, submitted by Janine Crandell)
At Peoria, April 11, 1888, by the Rev. J. T. Mulgrew, William C. Kreiling, aged 26, to Miss Arabella Stanley, aged 20 years, both of Richwoods. (Peoria Weekly Journal, Thursday, May 17, 1888, submitted by Janine Crandell)
At Brimfield, July 29, 1888, by the Rev. William Parker, Charles T. Henderson, aged 21 to Miss Effie F. Adams, aged 19, both of Peoria. (Peoria Weekly Journal, Thursday, Aug. 2, 1888, transcribed by Sandy MacDonald)
At Peoria, July 18, 1888, by the Rev. Thomas A. Clark, Martin T. Hooks, aged 28 of Danville, to Miss Winnie Harper, aged 22, of Peoria. (Peoria Weekly Journal, Thursday, Aug. 2, 1888, transcribed by Sandy MacDonald)
Miss Susie Boyer, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Boyer, residing at a farm near Victoria and Burt H. Hopkins of Princeville were united in marriage yesterday afternoon at 3 o’clock at the home of the bride’s aunt Miss Nina Cook of Galesburg.
The ceremony was performed by Elder R. V. Hopkins, brother of the groom, of Lamont Ia.
Mr. and Mrs. Hopkins will make their home with the groom’s mother, Mrs. Mary Hopkins, on West Canton St.
The bride lived all her life near Victoria with the exception of a few years when the family lived in Stronghurst. She attended Galesburg High School from which she graduated with the class of 1915. While there she became proficient as a pianist. At Victoria, she has been an active and enthusiastic worker for the Red Cross.
Mr. Hopkins was born and raised in Princeville. During his days in school he was prominent in athletics and brought recognition and honors to himself and his school. Mr. Hopkins for the last four years has been connected with the Keck Telephone Co. (Princeville Telephone, 1918, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Sunday afternoon at 4 o’clock at the home of Mr. and Mrs. S. J. Williams their daughter, Mildred Mae, became the bride of John P. Henry. Both young people are from Princeville.
Mrs. Henry has taught for the past several years in the rural school near Princeville and in the Monica school. During the same time she has also had a large class of pupils in music and has played the pipe organ for Sunday services at the Presbyterian church.
Mr. Henry is the son of Bruce Henry of Princeville. He will be a senior at Monmouth college this year, where he is also an assistant instructor in the chemistry department. (Princeville Telephone, Sept. 1928, submitted by Mike McMullen)
On Saturday, June 11, at 5:30 p. m., Miss Dorothy Mildred Kantz, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Kantz of Bement, Ill., became the bride of Robert E. Henry of Pittsburgh, Pa. The ceremony took place at the Methodist church of Bement, with the pastor, Rev. Lewis Dee Hopper, officiating. Attendants were the bride’s sister, Miss Marguerite Kantz and Mr. Martin Barnes of Bement.
After the ceremony a bounteous three-course dinner was served in the home of the bride’s parents to the newlyweds and the following guests: Mr. and Mrs. Edward Kantz and son Edwin and daughter Marguerite, Mr. Marin Barnes and Rev. and Mrs.. Lewis Dee Hopper, all of Bement; Mrs. and Mrs.. Allison Breedlove of Peoria; Mr. and Mrs. J.P. Henry of Charles City, Iowa; Mrs. Calvin Stowell and Mr. and Mrs. A. R. Henry and daughter Ruth of Princeville.
Following the dinner, Mr. and Mrs. Henry left by motor for their new home in Pittsburgh, Pa.
The bride was graduated from the University in 1932 and since that time has taught mathematics in Princeville Community high school. . She is a member of the Delta Zeta society and the Jamesonian literary society.
Mr. Henry is the youngest son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Bruce E. Henry of Princeville. He attended Monmouth College and received his Ph. D. degree at the University of Illinois in August 1937. He is now employed as research chemist at Mellon Institute, University of Pittsburgh. (Princeville Telephone, June 1938, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Miss Lola LaMay daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest LaMay of the Monica community and Paul D. Higgs, son of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Higgs of Trivoli, were united in marriage on Wednesday, June 21 at 12 o’clock noon at the home the bride’s parents.
Those present at the ceremony were: Mr. and Mrs. Ernest LaMay, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Higgs, Mrs. Ellen Laeverton, Mr. and Mrs. Clifton Higgs, Mrs. Fred Moody, the Misses Mildred Higgs, Edna Teets, Elvira Laeverton, June Higgs, Florence Mendell, Viola Mendell, Velma Cobb and Messrs, Lloyd LaMay, Harold Higgs, Joe Leaverton, Harold Shreaves and Rollin Higgs.
Mrs. Higgs is a graduate of Princeville high school and of the two-year course of Illinois State University. For the past four years she has taught the first four years of the Trivoli school.
Mr. Higgs is a graduate of the Trivoli high school and is well know for active interest in agriculture athletic and religious work.
Mr. and Mrs. Higgs will make their home with the bride’s parents, where Mr. Higgs is engaged in farming. (Princeville Telephone, 1934, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Miss Sara Lou Diefenthaler, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. L. F. Diefenthaler of Oconee and James E. Kuntz, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ed. R. Kuntz of Princeville, were married in the home of the bride’s parents at 2 p. m. Sunday, June 25.
The former Miss Diefenthaler was graduated from Pana high school in 1948. She attended Illinois Wesleyan University and Eastern Illinois State College.
Mr. Kuntz was graduated from the University of Illinois College of Agriculture in 1949 and is at present engaged in farming south of Princeville. (Princeville Telephone, June 1950, submitted by Mike McMullen)
At a very beautiful and impressive candlelight service at four o’clock Christmas afternoon Miss Alice L. Keller became the bride of John W. Matthews at the country home of the former’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Wilder H. Keller just northwest of Princeville, Rev. J. C. Craine, pastor of the Princeville M. E. church officiated at the ceremony, which was witnessed by members of the immediate families and close friends.
The young couple was attended by Miss Eleanor Matthews of Princeville, sister of the groom and Gene Keller of Princeville, brother of the bride.
The happy young couple expects to make their home in Shaboona, Ill.
The bride is a graduate of Princeville high school and also attended Normal State University at Normal, Ill. The past several years she has been a very successful teacher in the rural schools of the Princeville community.
The groom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. H. L. Mathews of Princeville and is a graduate of Princeville high school and the University of Illinois. He is now employed as agricultural instructor in the Community high school at Shaboona, Ill.
(Princeville Telephone, Dec. 1945, submitted by Mike McMullen)
During 1928 Dan Cupid worked with a will, joining a number of local people together in marriage:
February 5—Max Hemmer and Miss Martha Martin were married at the Christian Apostolic church in Princeville.
November 3—Ezra Thomas Hedden of Brimfield and Miss Anna King of Princeville were married at Princeville.
(Princeville Telephone, Jan. 1929, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Popular Princeville Young Lady---Wedding Took Place Saturday
The home of Mr. and Mrs. A. H. BeBord was the scene of a very pretty home wedding Saturday afternoon when their daughter, Bessie Myrtle became the bride of Carroll Dwight Hale of Chicago. The ceremony took place at 2 o’clock.
Mrs. C. H. Christman of Clinton, Iowa, was bridesmaid. Miss Florence Hale of Evanston sister of the groom was maid of honor. Miss Harriett Gingrich, niece of the bride, was flower girl. E.O. Smith of Evanston was best man.
The bride is one of Princeville’s most popular young ladies. She graduated for the local high with the class of 1908 and four years later from Northwestern University at Evanston, with several honors. She was honored by being elected to Phi Beta Kappa, honorary scholastic fraternity. She was also ivy class orator. During the war she was engaged in war work in Baltimore, Maryland and Washington D. C., where she was connected with the ordnance department. Later she returned home and taught for two years in Princeville high school.
The groom graduated from Northwestern University in 1912 and later served for more than a year as Lieutenant in the artillery branch overseas. At the present time he is advisory engineer for the Portland Cement Co. in Chicago.
(Princeville Telephone, 1923, submitted by Mike McMullen)
One of the lovely weddings of June was that of Miss Marjorie Wilson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Wilson of East Virginia Avenue and Lee Hinnen, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Hinnen of West Melbourne Avenue.
The Rev. John D. Trefager brother-in-law of the bride read the ceremony at 3 p.m. on Sunday, June 19 in the sanctuary of the Glen Oak Christian church.
Mrs. John D. Trefager was her maid of honor. The bridesmaids were the Misses Ann Hinnen, sister of the groom, Marianne Gorenz, Alice Whisenand and Jeanette Max.
Acting as best man for his brother John Hinnen Jr., the groomsmen were: Richard Roehm, Peter Krag and Ted Baylor all from Peoria and Robert Cole from Springfield, Illinois.
Mrs. Hinnen is a graduate of Woodruff High school and is now employed at Keystone Steel & Wire Co. Mr. Hinnen is a graduate of Peoria Central High school and now a student at the University of Illinois where he is affiliated with the Beta Theta Pi fraternity.
After a wedding trip through the South the couple will live in Campaign where Mr. Hinnen is serving his senior year at the University.
(Unknown newspaper, June 1940, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Marilyn Murphy Is Bride Of Wm. Hofer
In a simple but impressive ceremony yesterday morning, Miss Marilyn Joyce Murphy, attractive and popular daughter of Mr. and Mrs. T. E. Murphy, became the bride of William Hofer, son of Mrs. Mildred Hofer and the late Harry Hofer.
The nuptials were read at 10:00 a.m. by the Rev. A H. Northdruft , pastor of the Princeville Methodist church.
The bride was attended by Misses Mary Graves and Ruth Gibbs, two close friends. Mr. Hofer chose for attendant his close friend, Robert Jackson of Speer.
Mrs. Hofer was graduate from the Princeville high school and attended Dickinson’s business college. For the past three months she has been secretary for the high school.
Mr. Hofer, also an alumnus of the Princeville high school, is a successful farmer and the newly weds will take up their home on the farm northwest of Princeville.
(Unknown newspaper, Nov. 1943, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Ceremony at High Noon for Miss Hofer and Ensign
At a single ring ceremony read at high noon Tuesday Miss Harriette June Hofer, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Hofer was married to Ensign Tilmon Kreiling, son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Kreiling. The single ring service was read by the Rev. Edward Detweiler, pastor of the Glen Oak Christian church, before the fireplace at the home of the bride’s aunt and uncle, Mr. and Mrs. John Hinnen of West Melbourne street.
The attractive bride, a graduate of Peoria Central high school, has been a member of the Peoria Players for some time and will be remembered for her exceptional dramatic talent. She has been employed at the Keystone Steel and Wire Co., where she is a past president of the Girl’s Club.
Ensign Kreiling attended Peoria Central high school, where he was editor of the Opinion. While at Northwestern he was recognized for ability in journalism and was elected editor of the Daily, the campus newspaper. He is a member of Sigma Chi fraternity and during his college years received the honor of being elected to Phi Beta Kappa. Last July he entered Navy training at Abbot Hall in Chicago. He will report for orders in Washington in a few days.
(Unknown newspaper and date, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Mrs. Maurice Camp and Robert M. Hale exchanged vows in a double ring ceremony Saturday, December 24, at three o’clock in the First Methodist church in Galesburg. Dr. Jual Ford read the impressive service.
Lt. Col. And Mrs. L. M. Rice were the couple’s only attendants.
A reception was held in the home of Mrs. Jessie Rice in Elmwood following the wedding for members of the family and close friends.
The new Mrs. Hale formerly lived in Princeville and is employed as hostess in Hotel Custer in Galesburg. The groom is employed by the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy R.R.
The couple will reside at 762 Monroe Street, Galesburg.
(Unknown newspaper, Dec. 24, 1955, submitted by Mike McMullen)
The Trinity Lutheran church, of Macomb was the scene of the wedding of Miss Patricia Ann Gray and James E. Hargadine Saturday, July 13, at 2 p. m.
Miss Gray is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Gray of Milwaukee, Wisc., and the groom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Edgar C. Hargadine of Peoria.
Mrs. Fred Hatch of Galesburg was matron of honor. Miss Diane Gray, cousin of the bride wad bridesmaid.
Ralph Smith of Wyoming was best man and William Hargadine of Wyoming, brother of the groom, was groomsman. Ushers were Lloyd Phillips of Wyoming and Raymond Gray of West Allis, Wisc., brother of the bride.
The bride is July graduate of Western Illinois State college. The groom attended Western Illinois State college and is a member of Kappa Sigma Kappa. He is employed by the W. T. Grant Company in Peoria. They will reside at 321 Crescent Ave., Peoria.
Out of town guests were from Fondu Lac, Wisc., Cuba, Peoria, Williamsfield, Toulon, Wyoming, Farmington, Princeville and Anna.
(Unknown newspaper, 1957, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Miss Burnette Bush, daughter of Mr. Mrs. J. Ward Bush of Peoria, repeated marriage vows with Cpl. Mark P. Hill, in a ceremony performed in St. Bernard’s church in Peoria Saturday, September 20. The bridegroom is the son of Mrs. Catherine Hill of Princeville. Msgr. M. P. Sammon officiated and the Rev. Fogerty read the nuptial mass.
Miss Marilyn Bush, sister of the bride was maid of honor. The bridesmaids were Misses Ruth Otto of Bellflower, Mary Lou Carlile of Dunlap and Nettie Stickling of Edelstein.
Miss Saralie Bust served, as junior bridesmaid for her cousin and Marlon Rohman was flower girl. Donald Rohman served as ring bearer. Mr. Hill was attended by his brother, Gerald Hill of Princeville and guests were seated by Bernard Hill, John McIntyre, F. M. Kelso and Joseph Bush.
Mrs. Hill was graduated from the Dunlap high school and was formerly employed in the traffic department at Caterpillar Tractor Co.
Cpl. Hill was graduated fro Princeville Community high school and is now serving with the U. S. Army at the Chemical Center in Maryland. He recently returned from spending the ten and one-half months in Korea.
(Unknown newspaper, Sept. 1952, submitted by Mike McMullen)
United in marriage Oct. 4 at Arcadia Presbyterian church were Raylene J. Johnson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ray Johnson of Princeville and Clarence O. Hodges, son of Mr. and Mrs. E. R. Hodges of Wyoming, Ill.
Following a wedding at the home of the bride’s parents, the couple left for a wedding trip through the southern states. Both Mr. and Mrs. Hodges are graduates of Princeville Community high school. The bridegroom is employed in Wyoming, where they will reside.
(Unknown newspaper, 1957, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Miss Mary Jane Beall, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ellis Beall, became the bride of Stanley Hutson, son of Mrs. Helen Rowcliff, in a ceremony performed by Rev. Lee H. Smith at the Presbyterian manse at 2 o’clock Wednesday afternoon. Attendants were Miss Ila Fritz and Donald Kuntz.
The bride and groom are well known in this community, having graduated from the local high school in the class of 1943. Miss Fritz and Mr. Kuntz also graduated in the same class.
Mrs. Hutson attended the University of Illinois in 1944 and taught in the Princeville grade school during 1944-45. She has been signed to teach again this year.
Prior to becoming manager of the Farm Bureau service station. Mr. Hutson taught the Carroll school. For the past two years he has been assistant Scoutmaster of Troop 52, Boy Scouts of America.
After a short wedding trip the young couple will be at home to their friends on the Rowcliff farm.
(Unknown newspaper, Aug 1945, submitted by Mike McMullen)
The home of Mr. and Mrs. Emmett Fiscus, 510 East Stoughton street, was the scene of a pretty fall wedding at 4 o’clock Sunday afternoon, when their daughter, Miss Thelma May Fiscus became the bride of Gene E. Keller of Gary, Ind., son of Mr. and Mrs. Wilder Keller of Princeville.
The day marked the ninety-eight birthday of Mr. Keller’s paternal grandmother, the ninetieth birthday of Mrs. Keller’s grandmother, Mrs. Fred Fiscus; the forty-eighth wedding anniversary of Mr. Keller’s maternal grandmother, Mrs. George E. Tindall, and the third wedding anniversary of Mrs. Keller’s sisters, Mrs. Freal Herington, Mrs. Fiscus, Mts. Tindall and Mrs. Herington were present for the wedding.
Rev. D. M. Mathis, pastor of the Church of Christ at Summer, read the impressive double ring ceremony in the presence of immediate family and friends.
The bride was attended by Mrs. Elmer Smith of Pulaski, Tenn., as matron of honor, while Winfield Weaver, cousin of the bridegroom, attended as best man. The little flower girl was Irma Jane Wells, cousin of the bride, and the ushers were Herman and Hebert Fiscus, Carl Rollison and George Clark.
Mr. and Mrs. Keller left later in the day for Gary Ind., where they will make their home at 312 Lincoln avenue.
Mrs. Keller is a graduate of the Champaign high school and the Burnham City Hospital Nurses’ training school. Mrs. Keller is a graduate of Princeville high school and the College of Engineering, University of Illinois. He is now in the maintenance department of the Carnegie Illinois Steel company of Gary.
Out-of-town guests at the wedding included: Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Keller, Mr. and Mrs. E. R. Weaver, and children, Earline and Jimmie of Princeville; Mr. and Mrs. John Matthews of Shabbona; Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Lightbody and children, Ray Roy and Pearl, Mrs. George E. Tindall of Glasford; Principal and Mrs. Marion Romine and daughter, Helen of DeLand; Mr. and Mrs. Bert Brown of Bismarck; Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Fiscus of Ripley, Ian.; Mr. and Mrs., Sherman Childress of Rock Rapids, Ia.; Mrs. Hattie Arney of Coal City, Ind.; Louise Wernigk and Leonard Benson of Geneva; Lois Dunn, Marie Chambliss of St. Joseph; Charles Tapscott, Peoria; Mrs. Wayne Lavenhagen of Philo and Chior Mar McDonald of White Heath. Among the guests were also the following from Burnham City hospital; Miss Alverna See, Irene Hickernell, Vera Whitted, Blanche McSorley, Maude McMillan, Mrs. Alice Clark and Mrs. Genevieve McCarthy.
(Unknown newspaper and date, submitted by Mike McMullen)
The marriage of Elsie Turner Aby and Karl W. Keller, both of Princeville was solemnized at 11 a. m. Saturday, September 4, in the parsonage of the First Presbyterian church in Rock Island, Rev. Richard Chase formerly of Princeville, read the double ring rites in the presence of the couple’s immediate families.
Attendants were Miss Charlotte and Don Aby, both of Princeville.
Following the ceremony Mr. and Mrs. Keller left on a wedding trip. Their home will be in Princeville.
The daughter of Frank Turner of Princeville, Mrs. Keller has been employed by Caterpillar Tractor company in Peoria. The bridegroom, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Riley Keller of near Princeville, was graduated from Princeville Community high school. He served five years with the United States Army in World War II, seeing overseas duty in a quartermaster company of the Third Army. He is a senior at the University of Illinois.
(Unknown newspaper, Sept. 4, 1948, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Sunday, July 26, at 1 o’clock at the Madison Street Christian church in Peoria Mrs. Marjorie Bohanan exchanged wedding vows with Preston Keller, as rev. John Foster read the impressive double-ring service. Mr. and Mrs. Lynn Manwarren were the couple’s attendants
Both the bride and bridegroom received their education in the Princeville schools. The bride is the youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Vaughn Williams and the bridegroom is the oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Riley Keller.
Mrs. Keller is employed at the Hometown Café and Mr. Keller is engaged in farming. The newly married couple is residing for the present, at the Stokes house.
(Unknown newspaper, July 26, 1953, submitted by Mike McMullen)
SETH HOWARD WEDS MISS NORWOOD
Popular Assistant Chief in Railway Mail Service is Now a Benedict
Last night, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. L.A. Norwood, in Hanna city, their daughter Bernice A., was united in marriage to Seth Howard, formerly of Hanna City, but now of Peoria. The ceremony was performed by Rev. John Harper, pastor of the United Presbyterian church at Smithfield, in the presence of relatives and friends.
Both young people are very well known in that part of the county. Mr. Howard has many friends and acquaintances in Peoria, Miss Norwood is a very estimable young lady. Mr. Howard entered the railway mail service in 1895 and about a year ago was appointed assistant chief clerk in the railway mail service with headquarters in the government building in the city.
Mr. and Mrs. Howard leave today noon for an extended trip through the east. They will be at home after December 15, at 511 Lin Street.
(Unknown newspaper and date, submitted by Linda T.)
On Tuesday evening, November 3rd, at the home of the bride's mother, T. E. Howard and Miss Margaret Pinkerton were united in marriage, Rev. H. C. Postlewaite of the Presbyterian church officiating. About fifty guests, all relatives and intimate friends of the couple were present. Mr. Howard was for several years principal of the Hanna City schools and Miss Pinkerton, a teacher in the primary department. Mr. Howard is a present a storekeeper in the Internal Revenue force of Peoria.
They will take up their residence at once on Bigelow street.
(Unknown newspaper and date, submitted by Linda T.)
DR. ORVIS S. HOAG AND MISS PAULINE DURHAM
Dr. Orvis S. Hoag of Peoria, son of W. M. Hoag of Princeville, was united in marriage to Miss Pauline Durham, also of Peoria, Sunday afternoon at 4:30 o’clock at the chapel in the First Methodist church in Peoria, Dr. Joseph B. Rosemurgy reading the ceremony.
The young couple was attended by the groom’s sister, Mrs. R. E. Bickford and husband of Elmwood and only immediate relatives and close friends were present at the ceremony.
Immediately following the ceremony, Dr. and Mrs. Hoag left on a trip to Washington, D. C. and upon their return will reside in Springfield.
Both Dr. and Mrs. Hoag are well known former Princeville residents.
(unknown newspaper, 1939, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Back to top
A pretty bride of late August was the young woman from New Castle, Ind., Miss Jo Ann Johnson, who repeated her vows on the 25th with Peorian William Harwood Hoag, son of Dr. and Mrs. E. E. Hoag of Miller rd. The young couple married at 7:30 in the evening at the First Methodist church of New Castle.
The bride’s parents are Mr. and Mrs. Earl Johnson of Lincoln Ave., in that city.
Mrs. Charles Vickers, sister of the bride, of Grayslake, Ill. was the honor matron. Phillip Hoag was his brother’s best man. and the ushers included three Peorians, Richard Neumiller, Arthur Oakford and David Parker; a Chicagoan, Carl Parker and the bride’s brother-in-law Charles Vickers.
Following a reception at the church, the newlyweds departed on a trip to Williamsburg and other points of interest they will reside at 2615 Girard, No. 3, in Evanston after the 10th of the month.
Mrs. Hoag was graduated from New Castle high school and DePauw university where her affiliation was Alpha Chi Omega and Mr. Hoag also received his degree from DePauw university and is now a senior at the Northwestern medical school. He is a member of Beta, Theta Pi and Nu Sigma Nu fraternities.
(unknown newspaper, Aug 25, 1956, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Back to top
The former Miss Margery Smith of Brimfield and Wendell A. Hutson of Princeville, both graduates in June from Western Illinois State College, are pictures at there wedding. Vows were said August 19 in Union church in Brimfield. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F. Door Smith of Rio. She became a member of Sigma Sigma Sigma at WISU. Mr. Hutson, son of Mrs. Helen Rowcliff of Princeville was affiliated with Kappa Sigma Kappa fraternity. Both are teaching in the commercial department at Bradford high school.
(unknown newspaper, Aug 19, 1956, submitted by Mike McMullen)
A pretty church wedding took place Monday at the Sacred Heart church in Peoria when Miss Virginia Harker, second daughter of Elmer Harker of Streator, and Kenneth Johnson, son of Mr. and Mrs. W. D. Johnson of Bradford were united in marriage in a nuptial ceremony performed by Rev. Baldwin Schulize. The young couple was attended by Miss Colleen Hill, cousin of the bride, and Joseph Johnson, brother of the groom.
A wedding breakfast was served for the bridal party at Bishop’s cafeteria immediately following the ceremony.
Mrs. Johnson is a graduate of the Streator high school and graduated form the school of nursing at the Methodist hospital, where she has been employed for the past year. Mr. Johnston is a graduate of the Bradford schools.
The young couple will make their home in Bradford, where the groom is employed.
(unknown newspaper, March 1943, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Back to top
(unknown newspaper, June 2, 1956, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Back to top
The Princeville Methodist church was the scene of a beautiful wedding Saturday, October 23 at 7:30 in the evening in which Miss Mildred Catherine Challacombe, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Challacombe, became the bride of David J. Kulscar, son of Mr. and Mrs. Zigmond Pinkoezy of Dearborn, Mich.
Rev. D. Parragh, brother-in-law of the groom and Rev. Charles Smith officiated at the impressive single ring ceremony.
Mrs. Harold Poole was her sister’s matron of honor. Sharon Key Poole, niece of the bride was the flower girl.
The groom chose Harold Poole, brother-in-law of the bride to serve as his best man. Harold Woertz and Marvin Taylor were the ushers.
The couple will reside at their new home at 6646 Coleman, Dearborn, Mich.
(unknown newspaper, Oct. 1948, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Back to top
Miss Martha L. Leuthold, daughter of Rev. and Mrs. Silas Leuthold of Princeville and Loris W. Kieser of Bradford, son of Mr. and Mrs. Sam Kieser of Speer, were united in marriage Sunday August 18, in the Princeville Apostolic Christian church. The ceremony was performed by the bride’s father.
Serving as attendants for the couple were Mr. and Mrs. David J. Kieser, who were on a 15 day leave from San Antonio, Texas, where Mr. Kieser is stationed with the U. S. Armed Forces.
Attendants of the bride were the Misses Laura Leuthold, Shirley Schumacher, Bertha Jean Kieser and Mrs. Walter Herrmann. The bridegroom’s attendants were Jerry Kieser, John Leuthold, Harry Herrmann and Robert Scholl.
The couple will reside on the farm of the bridegroom’s brother, David, until he returns from Army duty.
(Princeville Telephone, Aug. 1957, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Back to top
Wedding Vows Are Exchanged in Church Ceremony Sunday
(Princeville Telephone, Oct. 1946, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Back to top
Miss Marian Burns, attractive daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Earl Burns of this city, became the bride of Sgt. Gale Koch, son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Koch of Lacon in a double ring ceremony at the First Methodist church in St. Louis, Mo. The ceremony took place at 4:30 p. m. on February 14.
Sgt and Mrs. Koch returned to Lacon and she will remain with her husband’s parents and continue to work at the Lacon Woolen mills, where she had been employed for the past year, Sgt. Koch is stationed at Ft. Dix, New Jersey.
Mrs. Koch is a graduate of the Princeville high school class of 1939.
(unknown newspaper, Feb 1945, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Miss Dorothy Eileen McNeeley, daughter of Mrs. Robert McNeeley of Princeville and Ernest Erwin Henry of Wyoming, were united in marriage at the Presbyterian manse, Tuesday evening, Aug. 21 at 8:30 o’clock by Rev. Lee H. Smith.
Attendants were Mrs. Erma B. Holmes fo Wyoming, sister of the bridegroom and Joseph Flanagan of Toulon.
The couple will make their home in Wyoming, where Mr. Henry is employed as a machinist.
(unknown newspaper, Aug 1945, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Given in marriage by her brother Cecil Dallinger, Miss Cecelia Dallinger, daughter of Mrs. Emelio Dallinger of Princeville, became the bride of Andrew P. Henricks, son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles N. Henricks, Sr., of East Peoria, in a ceremony June 28 at Arcadia Presbyterian church.
Miss Mary Ann Plym was maid of honor. Miss Edna Mar Weaver, niece of the groom, from Loda, Ill., was bridesmaid. Cathy Jo Dallinger was flower girl for her aunt.
Donald Dallinger, brother of the bride was best man. Ushers were Calvin Cummins, Floyd Espemscheid and James Miller.
They will reside at 1410 N. Main st. in East Peoria.
(unknown newspaper, June 1952, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Miss Betty Anne Cooling, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Cooling of Carmel, Calif., became the bride of Ross C. Hoerr, son of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob J. Hoer of Edelstein, Sunday, February 21, at 2:30 p.m.
The double ring ceremony was read by Rev. William O’Neill in Westminster Presbyterian church. Attending the bride and groom were the bride’s sister, Miss Truda Cooling and the groom’s brother, Jim Hoerr.
Miss Cooling is a graduate of Central high school and attended Bradley university and the University of Miami.
Mr. Hoerr is a graduate of Dunlap high school and attended the University of Illinois and the University of California in Los Angeles .
The couple departed for San Francisco where they will make their home at present.
The bride’s parents were formerly of Dunlap and Peoria.
(unknown newspaper, Feb. 1954, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Miss Josephine Ann Fulton, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lyle Fulton of Wyoming, was a bride of Jan. 12. She was wed to Harold Lynn Hohenbery, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Hohenbery of Princeville, at St. Dominic’s church in Wyoming. The Rev. Edmund Bratkowski officiated.
Miss Kay Barnes, Peoria was the honor maid. Bridesmaids were Miss Doris Noonen, Peoria and Miss Evelyn Fulton, Speer.
Kenneth Hohenbery was his brother’s best man and ushers were Frank Piercy and Loren Dallinger of Princeville.
Mrs. Hohenbery is a graduate of Wyoming High school and the Liberty Beauty school, Peoria. She is employed at the Princeville Beauty shop. Mr. Hohenbery a graduate of Princeville High school is employed by Caterpillar Tractor Co. The will live in Princeville.
(unknown newspaper, Jan 1957, submitted by Mike McMullen)
A pretty wedding was solemnized at the Monica Methodist church last Sunday afternoon at 4 o’clock when Miss Frances Camp, youngest daughter of Mrs. Ada Camp of Monica, became the bride of William Hoag, son of Mrs. William Herman of Peoria and William Hoag of San Antonio, Texas.
The couple was attended by Mr. and Mrs. Franklin Schelkofp, brother-in-law and sister of the bride.
Mrs. Hoag is a graduate of the Princeville high school and has many friends in this community.
The groom is a graduate of Manual Training high school in Peoria. He is employed at the Caterpillar plant.
(unknown newspaper, Aug 1943, submitted by Mike McMullen)
The St. John’s Lutheran church of Peoria was the site of the wedding the fourteenth day of December of Dan Hyde and Charlene Arrenholz of Bartonville. The reception was at the American Legion hall in Bartonville. They went on a trip to St. Louis and Springfield and now are at home to their friends at 116 Amsler street Bartonville, Ill.
Nuptial vows were repeated on Sunday, June 29, at the Methodist church in Princeville, by Miss Virginia Stubbs, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Cecil Stubbs of Monica and Claude Piercy, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. Claude Piercy, also of Monica.
Miss June Stubbs was the single attendant for her sister. Serving his brother as best man was Franklin Piercy and ushers were Donald Carmody and Raymond Crooke.
The former Miss Stubbs is a graduate of Princeville high school. Mr. Piercy is employed by W. A. Joos.
(unknown newspaper, Dec 1952, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Frank Eckley Announces the marriage of his youngest daughter, Dorothy Veronica Eckley, to Jack Kear, son of McKinley Kear and Mrs. Ann Griswold of Sparland.
The young couple exchanged their marriage vows at two o’clock Wednesday afternoon, March 11, in St. Mary of the Woods’ rectory.
Winnie Hawksworth, a close friend of the bride was her only attendant. Edwin Kear was his brother’s attendant.
The new Mrs. Kear is a graduate of Princeville Community high school with the class of ’52 and was employed by the Central Illinois Telephone Co. as an operator. The groom received his education in the Sparland schools and is stationed at Fort Eustis, Va., with the U. S. Army.
As soon as suitable living quarters can be obtained at the post, Mrs. Kear
will join her husband. For the present she is residing with her father.
(Princeville Telephone, March 1953, submitted by Mike McMullen)
Back to top
Any contributions, corrections, or suggestions would be deeply appreciated!
Copyright © Janine Crandell & all contributors
All rights reserved