Obituaries/Death Notices

Henry Daily Lloyd Debord Marshall Dunlap
Lawrence Daily Matilda DeBord Martha Dunn
L. H. (Roy) Dailey Nellie DeLent Archibald Edwards
John Dalton William Dell Delwin Edwards
Rose Dalton Donald Densberger Ellen  Edwards
Louisa Daniels Frances Densberger Gertrude Edwards
Dr. Richard Daniels Jacob Densberger Harry Edwards
Paul Dart Melvin Densberger Julia Edwards
Yerda Davis Ann Deutscher Marguerite Edwards
Agnes Dawson Joseph Dixon Mina Edwards
Alma Dawson Mary Dixon Sarah Edwards
Amy Dawson Mary Dockham Thomas Edwards
Edgar Dawson James Dolan Willard Edwards
Edgar A. Dawson Mary Ann Dolan Frances Elliott
Esther Dawson Kate Doll George C. Elliott
Fred Dawson Agnes Donaldson George R. Elliott
Infant Dawson Louisa Donaldson William Elliott
Margaret Ann Dawson James Donnelly Ansel Ellis
Margaret/Everett Dawson Carl Dries Catherine Elting
Mattie Dawson Ernest DuBuis John Elting
Rebecca Dawson Mrs. Fannie DuBuis Essie Emery
Robert Dawson Oscar DuBuis Edward Ennis
Rue Dawson Barney Duffy Henry Ennis
Sallie Dawson Mary Duffy Julia Ennis
William Dawson Peter Duffy Louis Erickson
William Dawson Joseph Duggins Mildred Erickson
William Dawson Lillie Duggins Walter Eubanks
William R. Dawson Opal Duggins John Evans
John Deaton Byron Dunlap Myrtis Evans
Frank DeBord Eliza Dunlap Alice Eyre
Fred DeBord Leslie Dunlap Preston Eyre
Harriet DeBord    


Funeral Services Are Held in Dunlap for Lawrence Daily, Sr.

Funeral services for Lawrence Daily Sr., 62, who passed away at St. Francis hospital Sunday at 4:05 p. m., were held at St Clements church in Dunlap Wednesday morning. Mr. Daily, who had been failing for sometime, became seriously ill two weeks ago and gradually grew weaker until the end.

He was a resident of Dunlap community for a number of years. Interment was in St. Mary’s cemetery at Kickapoo.

A son of Mr. and Mrs. Timothy Daily, he was born august 12, 1884 at Edwards. Mr. Daily was a member of St Clements church in Dunlap and was commissioner for Radnor township. He formerly farmed near Kickapoo and Dunlap.

Surviving are his mother of Kickapoo; his widow; eight sons; Timothy and Clifford Daily of Chicago; Donald, Everett and George Daily of Dunlap; Howard of Peoria; Louis of Princeville; Lawrence Daily, Jr., Alaska; one daughter; Elizabeth Daily of Dunlap; one son Henry and one daughter Francis preceded him in death. Two grandchildren also survive.

(Princeville Telephone, 1946, submitted by Mike McMullen)

Back to top


L.H. Daily Dies; Engineer For Santa Fe

L. H. (Roy) Daily, of Chillicothe, an engineer with the Santa Fe railroad for the past 32 years, died unrepentantly at 2 p. m. Monday in Fort Wayne, Fla., where he had been on vacation with his wife. Death was due to an apparent heat attack.

Both he and his wife had been visiting a son. Cpl. Milton Dailey, of the Army Air Force, stationed at Eglin Field Fla.

Born in Kewanee July 7, 1896, he married Miss Clara Buck June 26, 1923. He had been with Santa Fe since 1919. He was a veteran of World War I, having served in the United States Marines, taking part in action at Belleau Wood and Argonne Forest.

Surviving are his wife; two sons, Millard of Rome, and Cpl. Milton Dailey whom he was visiting; one brother Charles of Terre Haute, Ind., and a sister, Mrs. Irene Walraven of East Peoria.

Funeral services will be held at 2 p. m. Friday at Weber funeral home in Chillicothe with burial in the cemetery there. Friends may call at the funeral home after 4 p. m. Thursday.

(Unknown newspaper, Mar. 1952, transcribed by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

Henry Daily, 27, Killed In Car Crash

Henry N. Daily, 27, of Dunlap, was fatally injured in a head-on automobile collision late Sunday night near Streator and died in the Streator hospital Monday morning. He was employed in defense work in Chicago and spent Sunday with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Daily of Dunlap. He was riding with his employer and left Dunlap for Chicago about 8:30 p. m. Sunday.

Three cars were involved in the collision. An inquest was held on Tuesday and the body was taken to Boland’s mortuary later that day. Funeral services were held at St. Clements church.

Born June 6, 1917 in Rosefield Township, son of Lawrence and Frances Heinz Daily, Mr. Dailey had never married. He was a member of St. Clements at Dunlap.

Surviving are his father and mother, one sister, First Lt. Elizabeth Daily in Corsica; eight brothers, Timothy Daily, Chicago; S./Sgt. Everett Daily, Camp Mackall, North Carolina; Pvt. George Daily Memphis, Tenn.; S./Sgt. Howard Daily, South Pacific; Louis Daily, Seneca, Ill.; Clifford Daily, Chicago; Master Sgt. Lawrence Daily, Jr., Italy and Donald Daily, Dunlap.

(Princeville Telephone, 1944, transcribed by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

John Dalton, 73, Former Dealer in Grain Here, Dies

John Dalton, 73, former member of the Peoria Board of Trade, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. R. L. Hedrich, Silvis, Ill, Saturday night. He will be laid to rest in St. Mary's cemetery here Tuesday morning after funeral services at the Boland Mortuary chapel at 8:30 o'clock and requiem mass at St. Marks church at 9 o'clock. Mr. Dalton was born in this city, June 29, 1857, the son of Martin and Catherine Dalton and had resided here all of his life. Two years ago he retired as president of the C. B. Bartlett Grain company. He was a charter member of the Knights of Columbus and a member of the parish of St. Marks church. Surviving are his widow; three daughters, Mrs. Hedrich, Mrs. Charles Charvat, Chicago and Mrs. R. B. McCullough, Scott Field, Ill; two sons, J. Edwin Dalton of Davenport, Iowa and Willard M. Dalton of Peoria and eight grandchildren. A short time ago, Mr. and Mrs. Dalton sold their home on Ayres avenue and went to Silvis to visit their daughter. It was their intention to return to Peoria, when Mr. Dalton took fatally ill.

(Peoria Star, September 22, 1930, submitted by Ann McClary)

Back to top

Mrs. Rose Dalton

Funeral services for Mrs. Rose (Mooney) Dalton, 86, widow of John Dalton, and a lifelong Peoria resident, who died at 10:45 p.m. Monday at St. Josephs home where she had resided four years will be held at 3 p.m. Thursday at the St. Josephs home chapel. Burial will be in St. Mary's cemetery. Mrs. Dalton was born here Jan. 6, 1861, a daughter of Thomas and Rosanna Brady Mooney. She married Mr. Dalton here and he preceded her in death in 1930. Surviving are two sons, Willard Dalton of Peoria and John E. Dalton of Los Angeles, Cal; two daughters, Mrs. Ann Hedrich of Silvis and Mrs. Marie McCullough of Los Angeles, Cal; eight grandchildren and four great grandchildren.

(Peoria Star, April 2, 1947, submitted by Ann McClary)

Back to top


Paul Lawrence, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. A. A. Dart, died at 12:15 this morning, Feb.17. The child was but a month and two days old. Its death was caused from the effects of malnutrition. The editorial home is therefore in sorrow, for while the little one was here but for a brief time it had its place in the family roll and affections.
The funeral will be private, at the home, Friday afternoon at 3 0clock. Friends who desire to call are welcome between 1 and 2:30 Friday afternoon.

(Princeville Telephone, Feb. 17, 1910, transcribed by Mike McMullen)

Back to top


St. David - Yerda Jane Davis, 86, formerly of St. David, died at 10:15 p.m. Monday, Nov. 22, 2004, at St. John's Regional Health Center in Springfield, Mo.

She was born Oct. 21, 1918, in Peoria to Harold and Carrie Nelson Cady.

Surviving are one son, Roger (and Dorothy) of Urbandale, Iowa;; one daughter, Vicki McGinnis of Wyoming, Ill.; four grandchildren; two greatgrandchildren; and one brother, Keith (and Vicki) Cady of Oak Park.

She was a homemaker.

Cremation will be accorded. Arrangements are by Greenlawn North Funeral Home in Springfield. Burial will be at a later date. (Peoria Journal Star, Dec. 1, 2004, submitted by Barb Miroslaw)

Back to top

Agnes Dawson

Agnes Eileen Dawson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Dawson, was born January 18, 1920, at Oak Hill and passed away at her parents' home, three miles east of Oak Hill, on November 24, 1922, aged 2 years, 10 months, and 6 days.

She leaves to mourn her early death her parents, five sisters and four brothers, one brother having preceded her to the beyond.

Funeral services were held at her parents' home Saturday afternoon, November 25, at 2 p.m., conducted by Rev. E. E. Diffenbaugh of Brimfield. Mrs. H. O. Cady and Mrs. A. Pacey sang "When He Cometh" and "Let Us Gather up the Sunbeams."

The interment was in the Oak Hill Cemetery.

(Brimfield News, Nov. 30, 1922, submitted by Janet Bledsoe, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

Alma Dawson

Burns Fatal to Mrs. Alma Dawson

Mrs. Dawson died about 6:30 Thursday evening at the home of Tom May, south of Oak Hill. Death resulted from burns received from flames that burst from the stove on which she was working and ignited her clothing.

Mrs. Dawson, who had been employed for 20 years as housekeeper at the farm home of Mr. May, was adding fuel to the fire in the kitchen stove when the accident happened.

Attracted by her screams, Mr. May, who was working outside, went immediately to her assistance and extinguished the burned clothing. Mrs. Dawson had been badly burnt about the body, and death resulted from shock, according to the verdict of the coroner's jury.

Mrs. Dawson was born in Oak Hill on January 21, 1862, the daughter of John and Diantha Witherel Nixon. She was the widow of William Dawson and most of her 76 years had been lived in or near Oak Hill. She was a long-time member of the Oak Hill Methodist Church.

Four children survive: Jasper of Oak Hill; three daughters, Mrs. Howard LaFollette, Wyoming; and Mrs. Addie Cox and Miss Edith Dawson of Peoria.

Funeral services were held from the Patterson Funeral Home in Elmwood Saturday afternoon, and burial was in Oak Hill Cemetery.

(Brimfield News, Dec. 8, 1938, submitted by Janet Bledsoe, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

“Local Notes”

Mrs. Amy Dawson of Oak Hill age sixty six, died July thirty. The funeral services were held Saturday at the M.E. Church, Oak Hill, conducted by Rev. Cummings. Interment was in the Oak Hill Cemetery.

(Brimfield News, Aug. 6, 1903, submitted by Janet Bledsoe)

Back to top

Edgar Dawson

Everybody's Business

Edgar Dawson, well-known at his old home in this vicinity, was killed when an automobile in which he was riding was struck by a train near his home in North Dakota. Mr. Dawson was a brother of Rue Dawson of Oak Hill. His wife is a sister of Harry and Clyde Macey.

(Brimfield News, May 17, 1917, submitted by Janet Bledsoe, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

Edgar A. Dawson

Local Notes

Edgar Allen Dawson, son of R. H. Dawson, died at his home in Rosefield Township, June 28, 1906, aged three months and one day. The funeral services were held at Oak Hill on Friday.

(Brimfield News, July, 5, 1906, submitted by Janet Bledsoe, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

Esther Dawson

Esther Cowley Dawson Passes Away in Ohio

A telegram received by relatives here Wednesday morning announced the sad news of the passing of Mrs. Dawson at her home in Fostoria, Ohio. Mrs. Dawson was the younger daughter of Dan Cowley and had many friends here where she was born and grew to womanhood. She leaves to mourn her untimely death two young daughters, Margaret, who has just completed her high school education at Fostoria, and Hazel. Her husband passed away on April 22, 1930.

(Brimfield News, Aug. 6, 1931, submitted by Janet Bledsoe, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

Fred Dawson

Everybody's Business

Word has been received by relatives of the death of Fred Dawson at his home near Fostoria, Ohio, last Tuesday morning.

(Brimfield News, April 24, 1930, submitted by Janet Bledsoe, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

Infant Dawson

Local Happenings Brimfield and Vicinity

The youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Dawson, living south of Oak Hill, died at their home last Thursday. The little one died so suddenly that a post-mortem exam was held, and death was found to be caused by acute pneumonia. The funeral was held in the Methodist Episcopal Church at Oak Hill Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m., Rev. Schluetter of Peoria conducting the service. Interment was in Oak Hill cemetery.

(Brimfield News, Nov. 27, 1913, submitted by Janet Bledsoe, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

Margaret/Everett Dawson

Margaret Eliza Devries was born August 27, 1881 and died March 29, 1923 at her home between Oak Hill and Edwards, at the age of 41 years, 7 months, and 3 days.

She was united to Charles Wesley Dawson on December 14, 1904.

To this union twelve children were born, ten of whom are living. Those living are Mrs. Edna Huber, Mrs. Gladys Irene May, Walter, Charles, Clarence, Lawrence, Cheser, Mable, Alice, and Catherine. She also leaves to mourn her death her mother, one sister, Mrs. William Kehl, three brothers, Henry, Fred, and John Devries, and two grandchildren.

Everett William, infant son of Charles and Margaret Dawson, was born March 22, 1923 and died March 30, 1923, one day after the mother died.

Double services were held at the late home, east of Oak Hill on Sunday afternoon, April 1, 1923, at 2 p.m. and were conducted by Rev. E. E. Diffenbaugh. Two texts were used, for the mother, Isa 61:2, and for the babe, Isa 40:11.

The service song was furnished by Mrs. A. Pacey and Mrs. H. O. Cady, who sang the following hymns: "Jesus, Lover of My Soul," "Beautiful Isle of Somewhere," and "Precious Jewels."

The attendance was large, the house being filled with relatives and friends, and the casket was covered with beautiful floral tributes contributed by loving relatives and friends.

The funeral was especially sad, being the third death in the home in a little over four months, Agnes Eileen being born in 1920 and buried on November 25, 1922.

The casket bearers were John and William May, J. C. Johnson, Fred Rock, Robert Scott, and George Hall.

The remains of Mother and Babe rested side-by-side in the same casket and were laid to rest in the Oak Hill Cemetery.

(Brimfield News, April 5, 1923, submitted by Janet Bledsoe, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top


Margaret Ann Johnson was born in Hampshire county, Virginia, April 20, 1816. She married Critten Dawson, August 25, 1835. Their union was blessed with 6 children, 2 of whom are living; Mrs. Nancy Witherell of Oak Hill, and Joseph N. Dawson of Elmwood. Her death occurred at the home of her daughter, January 17, 1902, being nearly 86 years of age.

Mother Dawson was converted to God in her early womanhood and united with the Methodist Church and developed a beautiful and blessed Christian character.

Her funeral occurred at the Oak Hill Church on Sunday, January 19, at 1 p.m., which was conducted by Pastor, Rev. J. E. Mercer. The singing was by Mr. and Mrs. Harding, Miss Lena Kellogg and Mr. Smith with Miss Minnie Harding as the Organist. The interment was by the side of her husband in Oak Hill.

(Brimfield News, Jan. 23, 1902, submitted by Janet Bledsoe)

Back to top

Mattie Dawson

Funeral services for Mrs. Mattie Irene Dawson, 83, who died at her home in Elmwood Saturday morning at 4 a.m., were held Monday at the Elmwood Methodist church.

Rev. E. T. Palmer officiated, and burial was in the Elmwood Cemetery.

Mrs. Dawson, the former Mattie Macy, was born on October 16, 1888, near Brimfield. She and Edgar Dawson were married February 14, 1894. Mr. Dawson died in 1917. Mrs. Dawson was a member of the Elmwood Methodist Church and the Woman's Society. One brother, Harry Macy, survives.

(Brimfield News, April 3, 1952, submitted by Janet Bledsoe, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

Robert Dawson

Robert Dawson, a well-known citizen of Oak Hill, died a few days ago at his home in Oregon. Mr. Dawson sold his farm near Edwards last winter to M. D. Maher and went to Oregon a few weeks ago, where he bought property, expecting to make that state his home. He leaves his wife and a number of children.

(Brimfield News, April 22, 1920, submitted by Janet Bledsoe, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

Rebecca Dawson

Miss Rebecca Dawson was born in Virginia on May 26, 1888, and died at the home of her brother, Wesley Dawson, at Oak Hill on Thursday morning, August 5, 1909, aged 71 years, 2 months, and 10 days.

She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for a number of years and had a sincere and earnest desire to live a Christian life. She was found in her place at the church services unless kept away by ill health. It would have seemed strange to attend camp meeting and not see her there. The funeral services were held at the Oak Hill Methodist Episcopal Church at 2 p.m. August 7, and were led by Rev. M. P. Lackland.

(Brimfield News, Aug. 12, 1909, submitted by Janet Bledsoe, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

Rue Dawson

Everybody's Business

Mrs. Rue Dawson died at her home near Oak Hill on Monday after a brief illness. The funeral service was held yesterday afternoon.

(Brimfield News, Jan. 20, 1916, submitted by Janet Bledsoe, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

Sallie Smith Dawson

Sallie Smith was born Pickaway County, Ohio on September 4, 1841 and died at Peoria, Illinois on December 18, 1907, at the age of sixty eight years, eight months, and fourteen days. She was married to Joseph N. Dawson November 10, 1861 in Kickapoo, Illinois, to which union were born six children, three who have died, namely: William R., Mrs. Hattie M. Hasselbacher and Addie Inez. Those living and present at the funeral Service were; Mrs. E. Coulter of Galesburg, Harry J. of Peoria and Leonard of Shelbyville, Illinois.

She united with the M.E. Church of Oak Hill, in 1858. For fifteen months preceding her death her health steadily declined, but she was confined to her bed for only about four weeks. She was a patient sufferer. (The rest is unreadable) She is buried Oak Hill cemetery.

Note: The cemetery record shows Joseph N. Co. E. 77th Ill. Inf. 1840 - 1909, Sally w/o J. N., 1841 - 1907

(Brimfield News, Dec. 26, 1907, submitted by Janet Bledsoe)

Back to top

“Local and Otherwise”

William Dawson of Oak Hill, a son of Joseph Dawson of Elmwood, died at his home on Friday afternoon. Funeral services were at the M.E. Church in Oak Hill, last Sunday and conducted by Rev. Dwinnel of Elmwood and the order of Odd Fellows of which he was a member. He was a young man in the prime of his life and leaves a widow and several little children to mourn his loss.

Note: The cemetery records shows Wm. R., born June 19, 1864 died Feb. 18, 1898.

(Brimfield News, Feb. 24, 1898, submitted by Janet Bledsoe)

Back to top

William Dawson

Everybody's Business

William Dawson, an old soldier and former resident of Oak Hill, died at his home in Elmwood on Tuesday of last week from a stroke of apoplexy suffered as he was descending the cellar stairs. Mr. Dawson was 84 years old and is survived by his wife and four sons and four daughters.

[Note: Cemetery book shows b. Aug. 9, 1838, 1st Sgt. Co. E. 77th Ill.]

(Brimfield News, Apr. 4, 1929, submitted by Janet Bledsoe, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

William Dawson

Mr. and Mrs. Fred Dawson and Raymond and Mr. and Mrs. O. S. Tosh attended the funeral services for Mr. Dawson's brother, William of Geneseo, Illinois, on Saturday. Mr. Dawson suffered a severe stroke and passed away on the 11th at Geneso Hospital. Services were held from the Presbyterian Church, and burial was in Oak Cemetery there.

(Brimfield News, July 18, 1946, submitted by Janet Bledsoe, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

William R. Dawson

Everybody's Business

Funeral services for William R. Dawson, 31 years old, of 636 Vine Street in Peoria, who died Tuesday night of last week at the St. Francis Hospital, were held at 10 a.m. Friday morning at the Wilton Mortuary Chapel. He is survived by his widow Mrs. Ruby S. Dawson; two daughters, Bessie and Bettie Dawson; a son, Harold Dawson, Peoria; his mother, Mrs. William Dawson, Oak Hill; and the following brothers and sisters: Edith Dawson and Mrs. Jane Cox, both of Oak Hill; Mrs. Harold Lafollette of Brimfield; and Joseph Dawson of Hanna City. The body was laid to rest in Oak Hill Cemetery.

(Brimfield News, Feb. 6, 1930, submitted by Janet Bledsoe, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

J. C. Densberger

Another old resident of Peoria quietly passed away Christmas morn at 2:00 a.m. Jacob C. Densberger was born on Feb. 12th in the little village of Clyde, N.Y. He came to this city at the age of eight years, spent his boyhood days here and was educated in the public schools. He adopted the trade of carpenter which he followed until he was taken ill six weeks ago. Mr. Densberger was a prominent member of the M.W.A., having many friends in the order who deeply morn his loss. He is survived by three sons, Harry of New York, Jay C. of this city and Leon. The funeral will take place from the residence of his son, Jay C. Densberger at 2:00 this afternoon, and the remains will be interred at Springdale Cemetery. At the time of his death the deceased was 67 years and 10 months old.

(Peoria Herald Transcript, Dec. 27, 1912, submitted by Murray Hines)

Back to top

Frances Densberger dies at 100 in Morton

MORTON - Francis I. Densberger, 100, of Apostolic Christian Restmor Inc., formerly of 202 Cole St., East Peoria, died there at 8:58 p.m. Friday, Nov. 3, 2000. Born Feb. 14, 1900, in Washington to Gottlieb and Christine Mengel Brodt, she married Raymond E. Densberger on April 17, 1918, in East Peoria. He died Sept. 17, 1970, in East Peoria.

She also was preceded in death by one son, Donald, on July 16, 2000; one daughter, Mildred Erickson, on Jan. 18, 1999; five brothers; and four sisters.

Surviving are one son, Melvin (and Margaret) Densberger of Morton; one daughter, Phylis (Mrs. Robert) McCallum of East Peoria; nine grandchildren; 19 great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren. She and her husband owned and operated Densberger's Market in East Peoria for 21 years. She was a member of the Eagles Lodge.

Graveside services will be at 2 p.m. Monday at Fondulac Cemetery in East Peoria. The Rev. Vaughn Hoffman will officiate. There will be no visitation. Remert Funeral Home in East Peoria is in charge of arrangements. Memorials may be made to Apostolic Christian Restmor Inc."

(Peoria Journal Star, Nov. 5, 2000, submitted by Murray Hines)

Back to top


MORTON - Melvin R. Densberger, 83, of 730 W. Jefferson, formerly of East Peoria, died at 10:15 p.m. Friday, Aug. 1, 2003, at Morton Terrace.
Born June 13, 1920, in East Peoria to Raymond E. and Frances I. Brodt Densberger, he married Margaret R. Beam on Nov. 20, 1941, in Palmyra, Mo. She survives. Also surviving are two sons, Danny (and Mary) of East Peoria and Roger (and Anita) of Apopka, Fla.; one daughter, Sharon (and Javad) Kottabi of Groveland; one sister, Phyllis (and Robert) McCallum of East Peoria; and seven grandchildren.

He was preceded in death by one brother and one sister.

He was a machine operator at Caterpillar Inc. for 42 years, retiring in 1982. He was a member and former board member of the Caterpillar Retirees Club.

He also worked part-time at Hobby Models in Peoria. He was a former Cub Scout leader and volunteer firefighter.
He also was a set builder for Caterpillar plays.

He was a life member of Hilton Masonic Lodge 1143 in East Peoria and the Scottish Rite Bodies, Valley of Peoria.

He was a member of First United Methodist Church in East Peoria.

Services will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday at Remmert Funeral Home in East Peoria. The Revs. Vaughn Hoffman and Gary Watkins will officiate.

Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the funeral home, with Masonic rites at 8 p.m. Burial will be in Fondulac Cemetery in East Peoria.
Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society or Harbor Lights Hospice.

(Peoria Journal Star, Aug. 4, 2003, submitted by Murray Hines)p>

BaBack to top


"EAST PEORIA - Donald L. Densberger, 70, of 202 Swiss Lane died at 2:10 a.m. Sunday, July 16, 2000, at his residence. Born Aug. 3, 1929, in East Peoria to Raymond and Frances Brodt Densberger, he married Jeanine Opperman on Oct. 15, 1950, in East Peoria. She survives. Also surviving are his mother of Morton; two sons, David of Washington and Gary (and Jana) of East Peoria; four granddaughters; one brother, Melvin of Morton; and one sister, Phyllis McCallum of East Peoria. One sister preceded him in death.

He worked for Producers Dairy in Peoria (now Prairie Farms) as assistant sales manager from 1955 until retiring in 1976. He later worked at Caterpillar Inc. In Mossville as fire inspector from 1977 to 1990. He was in the Army Reserves. He was a volunteer fireman in East Peoria from 1952 to 1977. He was a member of First United Methodist Church.

Services will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at Remmert Funeral Home. The Rev. Vaughn Hoffman will officiate. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home. Burial will be in Fondulac Cemetery. Memorials may be made to his church or OSF Saint Francis Hospice Program."

(Peoria Journal Star, July 17, 2000, submitted by Murray Hines)

Back to top 


BRIMFIELD, --Mrs. Anna Abbott Deutscher, rural route one, Monica, lifelong resident of Jubilee township and last surviving member of a family of 10, died at home of a niece, Miss Mae Meaker in Monica, died 6:30 p.m. EDT Saturday.

Born in Jubilee township Aug. ?, 1882, she was the daughter of James and Mary Delaney Abbott. She married Max Deutscher Aug. 18, 1931 in Brimfield. He survives.

Surviving also are four nieces and nephews.

She was a member of St. Joseph’s Catholic church and served with the alter and rosary society.

Funeral will be at 10 a.m. CDT Wednesday at St. Joseph’s church. Friends may call at the Taylor funeral home Monday afternoon and evening, with rosary to be recited there 8 p.m. CDT Monday.

(Princeville Telephone, unknown date, transcribed by Mike McMullen)

Back to top


Lillie M. Duggins, 92, a resident of Bel-Wood Nursing Home since July 1979, died there at 8 a.m. yesterday.

Born March 5, 1890, in Peoria, she was a daughter of Walter S. and Maude McKinney Hines.

She was a saleslady for the former Block and Kuhl Co., and later for Carson Pirie Scott & Co., 25 years, retiring in 1955.

Surviving are one daughter, Mrs. M. Hamilton (Elizabeth) Carlson, of Aurora, Ohio; one brother, Donald M. Hines, and two sisters, Mrs. Irma Lindstrom and Mrs. Dorothy Lindstrom, all of Peoria.

Services will be at 1 p.m. Thursday at Cumerford-Endsley Memorial Home, where visitation will be one hour earlier.

The Rev. Jeffery O'Neill will officiate and entombment will be in Springdale Mausoleum.

(Peoria Journal Star, October, 1958, submitted by Murray Hines)

Back to topa>

Mary Dixon

TRIVOLI - Mary Eloise Dixon, 83, of 960 Highland Ave., Fort Thomas, Ky., formerly of the Trivoli and Joliet area, died at 4:20 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 21, 1995, at Highlands Nursing Home in Highland, Ky.

She was born June 23, 1912, in Middle Grove to Henry and Lydia Ellinghausen Andrews.

Surviving are four sons, Dr. Donald W. of Burr Ridge, Paul Jay of Joliet, Loren K. of Alexandria, Va., and Stephen A. of Shreveport, La.; one daughter, Jeannette Bruce of Falmouth, Ky.; 14 grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; one brother, Richard Andrews of Kansas; and three sisters, Charlotte Gilbertt and Imogene Campbell, both of Peoria, and Carol Camp of Trivoli.

She was a former nurse's aide at Our Lady of Angels in Joliet for several years.

Services will be at 11 a.m. Monday at Anderson Funeral Home in Farmington. The Rev. Dennis Beedy will officiate. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home. Burial will be in Trivoli Cemetery.

Memorials may be made to the Alzheimer's Foundation.

(Peoria Journal Star, Sep. 23, 1995, submitted by Barb Miroslaw)

Back to top

Mary Ann Mooney Dolan

Mrs. Mary Dolan, 78 years old, 1216 North Madison Ave., died at 8 oclock Friday morning at St. Francis hospital of complications of the heart. Mrs. Dolan was born in Bureau county, IL, December 17, 1846, and was married to James C. Dolan January 18, 1870. Surviving are a daughter, Elizabeth M. McKenzie, Chillicothe and a son, O. J. Dolan, of Peoria; also three brothers, William A. Mooney, James F. Mooney and O.K. Mooney, all of Chillicothe. Funeral services will be held at St. Mary's cathedral. (Mary Ann Mooney daughter of James and Elizabeth Jennett Mooney).

(Peoria Journal Transcript, Friday May 29, 1925 pg. 9, col. 1, submitted by Ann McClary)

Back to top

James C. Dolan

James C. Dolan Is Dead

Passed Away at an Early Hour Yesterday Morning

Biographic Sketch of One of the Most Prominent Residents of the City

The announcement of the death of James C. Dolan will be no surprise to those who were familiar with his condition. He has been seriously ill for more than a year, and had been bedfast since the first of May. Of late he has been sinking more rapidly and some days ago all hope of his recovery was abandoned. At 5 o'clock yesterday morning he passed away at his residence, 513 North Adams street. Death was the result of a complication of diseases. The deceased was the son of Thomas Dolan and was born August 26, 1842 at the corner of North Adams and Fayette streets, within two blocks of the place where he died. At the age of 15 his father died. He was then taken from school and put to work, learning the machinists trade. In 1862 he went to Chicago, working in the shops of the Chicago & Northwestern railroad until 1863 when he enlisted in the eleventh Illinois Cavalry. He was detailed at post headquarters in Springfield. Subsequently he was commissioned Second Lieutenant of the Fifty-eighth Illinois Infantry. He was transferred and joined the regiment in Montgomery, AL. After a short service he was made a First Lieutenant, and was mustered out a Captain. On the return from the war he engaged in the grocery business with his brother John F. Dolan. Afterwards he went into the foundry business in Henry with Al Smith and John Login. His residence there dated but a year. He then made his home for a season in Chicago, where he engaged in the real estate business. In 1869 he came back to Peoria, then returned to Chicago to engage once more in the grocery business. He was there but a short time and once more returned to his native city to study law in the office of Lindsay and Feinse. He was admitted to the bar and practiced for many years. He was married January 18, 1870 to Miss Mary A. Mooney, of Medina township, and as a result of that union thee are two children, Oliver J. and Elizabeth M. Mr. Dolan took an active interest in politics, and was always foremost in the ranks of the Democrats. He was remarkably shrewd and quick at repartee. For fourteen years he was a member of the City Council from the Third Ward, and during this time was chairman of the Finance Committee. No man was probably better acquainted with the affairs of the city. For several months he was Mayor, on the resignation of Col John Warner. He was also collector and assessor and at the time of his death was a member of the library board. Mr. Dolan amassed quite a fortune and is the owner of considerable real estate in the city. The funeral will take place from St. Mary's Cathedral Thursday morning at 10 o'clock.

(Peoria Daily Transcript, Wednesday December 13, 1893, pg 3, col 3, submitted by Ann McClary)

Back to top

Mrs. Louisa Donaldson. Funeral services for Mrs. Louisa Donaldson will be held Friday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock at the Wilton Mortuary chapel. Rev. C. F. Thomas, pastor of Hope Mission, officiating. Burial will be in the Lutheran cemetery. Friends may call at the church after 4 'clock this afternoon. (Peoria Star, Thursday, April 30, 1931, submitted by Janine Crandell)

Back to top

A Peorian Killed.

The wires last evening flashed the following from Hayton, Wisconsin:

The south-bound Milwaukee and Northern freight train was derailed near here this morning by the negligence of brakeman Frank Malley in leaving an open switch. The train was badly wrecked and the conductor, James Donnelly, was buried beneath the ruins and his body has not yet been recovered. A. C. McClelland, brakemen, suffered the fracture of one rib. The cars caught fire and several thousand dollars' worth of property was destroyed.

James Donnelly, the conductor, was a Peoria boy, and formerly worked for the T. P. & W. here. His brother is Walter Donnelly, the P. & P. U. foreman, at Bridge Junction, and he also received a private dispatch last night. James Donnelly left Peoria and went north with Superintendent Finney, then of the T. P. & W. He was a good railroader and well-liked. His body will probably be shipped home for burial. (Peoria Weekly Journal, Thursday, September 22, 1887, submitted by Janine Crandell)

Back to top

ERNEST DuBuis A SUICIDE. Well Known Peorian Found Dead by Own Hand.

With a bullet wound in the head, and a revolver lying near, the body of Ernest G. DuBuis, son of the late Oscar DuBuis, was discovered at the lower end of Lake View park yesterday afternoon by two rivermen. Coroner ELLIOT who was summoned to the park by the men who made the discovery, stated that the unfortunate young man had been dead several days. The two men, Frank BUSH and H. Bartlett, with two others, were coming from the river about 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon, when they came upon the corpse and at once notified the coroner, who, on reaching the scene of the tragedy, ordered the body to be taken to the Boland undertaking establishment. The bullet that snuffed out the young man's life had entered just forward of the left ear, torn through the head and remained just under the skin in front of the right ear, causing instant death. DuBuis had been rooming at the home of J. S. Hiner, 1927 North Adams street, for the past two weeks. He had not been seen at the Hiner home since Tuesday morning, at breakfast. At that time he complained of feeling badly. Friends say that he had been brooding over various troubles for some time and that his suicide was due to despondency. Ernest DuBuis, who was about thirty years of age, was the son of Mrs. Fannie DuBuis, 1503 North Perry avenue, and a brother of George DuBuis, the young artist who had recently opened a studio here. His father, the late Oscar DuBuis, laid out Glen Oak park. Two other brothers and two sisters are living. John DuBuis of San Francisco, Harry DuBuis of Danville, Ill., Miss Fannie DuBuis, and Mrs. Frank OLSON. The inquest was held this morning. The first witness, Frank BUSH, stated that he, with three companions, was walking down through Lake View yesterday afternoon when they discovered the body, lying in the far end of the park. DuBuis was lying on his back, fully dressed, his face covered with blood, and a revolver badly rusted, with one chamber discharged, lay at his left side close to his hand. Hubert Bartlett, Roy COLLINS and Chas. SH?? (maybe SHED?), who were with BUSH at the time, fully corroborated the latter's testimony. The examination of Jacob Hiner, who owns the hotel on North Adams street where DuBuis was living, brought out the fact that DuBuis had twice unsuccessfully endeavored to borrow a revolver from Gus GREEN, proprietor of a saloon on North Adams street and from a man named STUMM, telling them that he wanted to shoot rabbits at Lake View. George S. DuBuis, artist, brother of the deceased, stated that while his brother had been worried over financial troubles, he knew of nothing serious enough to drive him to so desperate an act. Harry DuBuis, another brother, made a similar statement. He also said that Ernest DuBuis was left-handed, which accounted for the revolver being found at the left of the body. The jury brought in a verdict of suicide. The funeral will be held tomorrow or Monday. (The Peoria Star, Saturday, 6 February 1909, page 12, Peoria, Peoria, Illinois, submitted by Pam Villafuerte)


DEATH NOTICE: DIED-DuBuis-Ernest G., aged 30 years. Remains will lie in state at the Boland undertaking parlors till 1 o'clock today, Sunday. Funeral from St. Andrew's church at 3 o'clock this afternoon. Friends invited. Interment in Springdale cemetery. (Peoria Star, Sunday, 7 February 1909, p.20, submitted by Pam Villafuerte)

Back to top

Mrs. DuBuis, Widow Of First Park Supt., Is Taken By Death

Mrs. Fannie L. DuBuis of Proctor Endowment home, widow of O. F. DuBuis, first superintendent of Peoria parks, passed away this morning at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Fannie D. MEYER, Havana, Ill. She was 82 years of age. Mrs. DuBuis, who had gone to visit her daughter in Havana, was taken ill a few days ago. She was born in Sacremento, Cal., April 30, 1852 and became a resident of the Proctor home April 4, 1924. Her husband, who died a number of years ago, planned the original group of Peoria parks and landscaped Glen Oak park. The sermon at his funeral was preached by Eugene F. BALDWIN, founder of the Peoria Star. Funeral services will be announced later by Winselers. Burial will be in Springdale cemetery. (Tuesday, 9 October 1934-Peoria Star, p.3, submitted by Pam Villafuerte)

Back to top

Obituary: He Made The Parks.

Oscar F. DuBuis, the Park Engineer, Passed Away Yesterday. At 1:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon, O. F. DuBuis, the man who constructed Peoria's magnificent park and driveway system and brought it to its present perfection, closed his eyes in the sleep eternal and Peoria thereby loses one of its most talented citizens. Mr. DuBuis was a remarkable man in his versatility. He was at once an artist, an architect, an engineer, a landscape gardener and a botanist, and was proficient in all. He had a remarkable faculty for developing the artistic possibilities of the grounds under his charge and arranging scenes of beauty, as Glen Oak, the Laura Bradley park, and the pleasure driveway will attest. When he came to Peoria twelve years ago the park board had just been organized and it had purchased the BIRKET property now known as Glen Oak park. Its hills and valleys at once appealed to his artistic faculties and he eventually made of it the beautiful domain which it now is. The small park in the lower end of the city next claimed his attention and in three years South park also became a thing of beauty. He then began work on the Laura Bradley park and there the exercise of his splendid capabilities was again demonstrated. His last work was the improvement of the pleasure driveway which runs from Averyville to Prospect Heights and it received the same artisitic attention which had been bestowed on the other sections of the park system. The lily ponds, the waterfalls, the pergolas, the rustic bridges, towers, pavilions and all the improvements that beautify the park and driveway system came from his busy and artistic brain, and in Oscar F. DuBuis Peoria had a remarkable man and one whose loss is irreparable. Oscar F. DuBuis was born in Canton Vaud, Switzerland. His father was a professor of natural sciences and a teacher in the public school. The son graduated from the public schools and took a two years course at the Polytechnic Institute at Winterthur, Switzerland, and that was followed by a four years apprenticeship to an architect. In 1870 he came to the United States at the age of twenty-one and settled in Chicago, where he took a position as architect and first class draughtsman with W. L. B. Jenny, engineer of West park, where he remained until after the great fire of 1871, when for the want of funds the city discontinued the work. Later he was appointed superintendent of the West Chicago park system, where he remained until 1893, a term of twenty-one years. He was removed under the administration of Gov. ALTGELD for political reasons, but soon after became engineer in Lincoln park, where he remained one year. In 1895 his services were engaged by the park board of Peoria and he has lived here ever since. He was married in Chicago to Miss Fannie GIRARD, a native of California. His wife, four sons and two daughters survive him. The eldest son, John, is a resident of Los Angeles, Cal.; Ernest lives in this city, while Harry is conducting the business of a florist at Danville, Ill., and George is at Wilmington, Del., where he is studying illustrating. The two daughters are Mrs. Pearl OLSON of Wichita, Kan. and Miss Hattie DuBuis who lives at home. Mr. DuBuis returned last Saturday from Los Angeles, Cal., where he had spent some weeks with his son John. He was troubled with an affection of the heart and seemed to have been benefited by the trip. On coming home he took to his bed and at 1:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon attempted to rise from it. The effort proved to be too much for him and he fell back and quietly passed away. His death occurred at his home, 100 Wisconsin avenue. The funeral arrangements will be announced later. (SOURCE: Peoria Star Newspaper, Tuesday 17 April 1906, submitted by Pam Villafuerte)


Oscar F. DuBuis:

Funeral of the Engineer of the Park Board.

     Yesterday afternoon the members of the park board and citizens paid the last sad rites to Oscar F. DuBuis, late engineer of the park board. There was a very large following, and the floral tributes were beautiful beyond description. Members of the park board attended in a body to manifest their respect; the employees of the park were present and filed past the coffin in the parlor of the residence and made their chief a last farewell. The beautiful Episcopalian burial service was read, followed by a song by a quartette, and then E. F. BALDWIN, on behalf of the park board and the citizens said: "Dearly Beloved: We are assembled here to pay the last tribute to our fallen comrade, and it is fitting that we should express our opinion of him in no unstinted praise, for we can truthfully say 'Here lies an honest man,' and we say it without reservation or limitation. In all of his service to the public no suspicion of graft or mismanagement or double-dealing marked his official career. He engaged in no political strife, he participated in no ring, he organized no faction; he devoted himself wholly to his work. He saw with rare artistic eye the glorius possibilities that lay before him, for he was not only a civil engineer and a landscape gardener, par excellence, but he had a poetic sense of the beautiful. When he came to Peoria and saw the hollow cutting into the bluff his designs were so original and colossal that he astonished and dismayed the official board that had employed him, but they soon saw that he was fully master of his profession. They had the good sense to allow him full sway, and the result justified their confidence; a confidence that he never abused and never overtaxed. It is to our dead comrade that Peoria owes our beautiful park system, where the little children can breathe the fresh air and wander at will; where the birds of heaven are protected and the fish of the streams find abiding places. He has stamped his character deep upon Peoria. He loved nature, not in her wild and wayward moods, where, in fierce wrath she crushes the work of man, crumbling his monuments, his edifices and his highways into shapeless fragments, but nature in her softer moods, garnished with flowers, bedecked with trees and glowing under the golden rays of the sun. The work that he did shall live after him, for it partook of his own honesty, as rugged as the peaks of his native Alps, and so we gather around his bier today, sorrowing for our loss, but rejoicing in the fact that he has left behind him monuments that shall endure as long as this city is occupied by civilization. With these feelings we lay him at rest in Springdale, in sight of his labors. And the birds shall sing his requiem and the trees shall unite their branches in loving amity over him, and the flowers shall breathe over the green turf that marks his grave their sweetest perfume, and the sun shall irradiate the spot with his loving caress, and he shall sleep forever and forever in eternal peace." (SOURCE: Peoria Star, 21 April 1906, submitted by Pam Villafuerte)

Back to top

Barney Duffy

Barney Duffy, a former citizen of this place and well known to many here, died at his home at Cottonwood Idaho, recently.

He was 75 years of age. His last visit here was a couple of years ago. He had been an associate with one of his sons.

(Princeville Telephone, Jun. 1914, submitted by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

Peter C. Duffy, 93 Is Laid to Rest Saturday Morning

Funeral services for Peter C. Duffy, 93, Wyoming's oldest resident, were held Saturday morning at 9 a.m. in St. Dominic's church in Wyoming with Rev. E. J. Bratkowski, pastor of the church, officiating. Interment was in St. Mary of the Woods cemetery in Princeville. Pallbearers were John Robbins, Roy McDaniel, Glenn Fryer, Charles Rodgers, Bernard Hughes and Fay Strum.

Peter C. Duffy was born in St. Louis, Mo., June 3, 1861 and died in his home in Wyoming Wednesday night, September 15, after being in ill health for some time.

With his family he came to Monica when a small boy. His life's work was farming, coal mining and railroad work. He was united in marriage to Mary Delaney, who preceded him in death. He has been a resident of Wyoming for many years.

Survivors are three daughters, Mrs. Mary Oakes, Mrs. Margaret Harding and Mrs. Mabel Brazee; two sons, Eldon and Leo all of Wyoming; several grandchildren and great grandchildren. He is also survived by nieces and nephews.

(Princeville Telephone, Sept. 1954, submitted by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

Death of Mrs. Peter Duffy

Mrs. Peter [Mary E. Delaney] Duffy died Monday at her home in Monica. She had suffered about six weeks from liver trouble. She was 40 years of age. She was the daughter of the later Patrick Delaney, and was the last of the family. She is survived by the husband, three daughters and one son. The funeral was held from the Catholic Church, Princeville, Wednesday morning and interment was in the Catholic cemetery.

(Princeville Telephone, 1912, submitted by Mike McMullen)

Back to top


Marshal Ney Dunlap, of Dunlap, Ill., was born in Sandy Creek, Oswego county, N.Y., February 11, 1834, came to Illinois with his parents when but a child and spent nearly all his life at Dunlap. He died April 16, 1900, after a long and severe illness, aged 66 years, 2 months and 5 days.

On December 7, 1861, he enlisted in Co. E., 11th Ill. cavalry and was discharged on account of failing health in 1862.

March 17th, 1869, he was united in marriage to Miss Rachel Tod-hunter. Three sons were given them, one dying in infancy.

Mr. Dunlap was a member of the G.A.R. He united with Prospect Presbyterian church February 3, 1877, and was a consistent member until his death. His faith was in God and he was fully resigned to His will. His death was peaceful and happy. Funeral services were held in the Presbyterian church at 11:30 a.m., April 18th. Members of the G.A.R. present from Princeville and Dunlap attended in a body and the pall-bearers were from their number. The remains were interred in the family burying ground at Dunlap.

(Unknown newspaper, April 1900, submitted by George Zane, transcribed by Gaile Thomas)

Back to top


The funeral of Louisa O. Daniels was held at the West Hallock church Thursday afternoon with burial in the cemetery there. Mrs. Daniels died Tuesday at her home three miles this side of Peoria, after an illness of two years. She was 41 years of age and leaves husband, two children, mother, two sisters, two brothers and two grand children. She bore her sufferings with patience and fortitude.

(Unknown newspaper and date, submitted by George Zane, transcribed by Gaile Thomas)

Back to top


Mrs. Eliza Dunlap nee Robinson was born at New Lisbon, New York, Jan. 2, 1829 and died at her home in Dunlap, Ill., Oct. 23rd 1904, in her 76 year.

In 1836 her parents moved to Illinois with eight children of which she was the fourth. They located at Trivoli where they endured all the hardships of pioneers. Four more children were born to them and these twelve children grew to maturity and seven of them still survive. Three of the sons served through the civil war.

Mr. and Mrs. Robinson were members of the Baptist church and had a part in establishing a church near their home which was later moved to Farmington, five miles away. They had the satisfaction of seeing their children gathered one by one into the fellowship of this church. Eliza was received into this church at 15 years of age. Two or three years later she came to this region as a teacher and here met her future husband.

At the age of 19 she was married to Napoleon Dunlap and the young couple began their house keeping on the farm now owned and occupied by Geo. Taylor 1 1/2 miles north west of the village of Dunlap. Here they lived until they moved to this village. To them 10 children were born of whom seven still survive. In 1866 Mr. and Mrs. Dunlap joined Prospect church and enjoyed its fellowship to the end of life.

Mr. Dunlap preceded her to the land beyond July 14, 1902 and now the family, church and community mourn her departure and others must assume the duties to which she has been so faithful.

(Unknown newspaper and date, submitted by George Zane, transcribed by Gaile Thomas)

Back to top


Martha Blanche Dunn, daughter of William and Rebecca Blue, was born in Akron township, Peoria County, Ill., Feb. 22, 1861; died at her late residence in Valley Township, Stark County, Ill., July 20, 1907, aged 46 years, 4 months, 28 days.

Her early life was spent at the old home in Akron Township. She received her education at country school near her home and later at the High School in Princeville. She was a teacher in the public schools of Akron Township for eight years.

She was married to John Dunn, Jan. 7th, 1886. They immediately moved to her late home, where the twenty-three years of her married life were spent.

To this union three daughters were born---Florence Rebecca, Eva Mary, Nettie Blanche, who with their father are left to mourn her loss. She was a devoted wife and mother and words can never tell how much the dear ones will miss her. She also leaves her aged father, four sisters, one brother and numerous other relatives.

She united with the Congregational Church of Stark, April 9, 1898. For a time she was a teacher f the seminar Bible class in the Sunday School. Then she was placed in charge of a class of adults. Here she proved her wonderful ability as a teacher. She was also the efficient clerk of the church, one of the most important offices in the body. She served, too, in the L. A. S. as treasurer. In all these places she proved her ministry by her fidelity. This ministry of her life will be a benediction, not only to her Bible class, but also to her associates in the L. A. S. as well as to the wider circle that claimed her friendship. Her ?????? ????? made her widely known as a ????? associate and friend.

The tenderest memorial of her life will come to us all in recalling her kindly, generous ministry of her busy years.

One of the touching things of her life was her untiring devotion to her parents, also to her husband's parents as long as they lived.


Card of Thanks.

We wish to extend to all our kind neighbors and friends, our thanks and appreciation for their kindness, sympathy and help during our bereavement.

John Dunn,
and Daughters.

(Unknown newspaper and date, submitted by George Zane, transcribed by Gaile Thomas)

Back to top


Services for Carl Vincent Dries, 68 of 700 S Greenlawn, a retired Caterpillar Tractor Co. employee, will be held at 9 a.m. Friday at Peoria Davison Funeral Home on Western Ave, Peoria, Illinois.

Further services will be at 9:30 a.m. in St. John's Catholic Church. The Rev. George Wuellner officiating. Entombment will be in Resurrection Mausoleum.

Friends may call at the funeral home from 7 to 9 p.m. tomorrow, January 7, 1976. A Scripture service will be held a 7 p.m..

Mr. Dries died at 8:40 a.m. yesterday in St. Francis Hospital, nine minutes after being admitted.

Born April 18, 1907, in Albany, N.Y.. He was a son of Peter J and Mary Chambers-Dries. He married Pearl Georgianna Murray in Peoria, Illinois on September 28, 1929.

Mr. Dries was a machinist at Caterpillar for 35 years, retiring in 1969.

He was a member of St John's Catholic Church.

Surviving are his wife; one adopted son, Vincent Carl Dries (Pamela Selberg) of Peoria Heights; two brothers, Leslie Lawrence Dries of Tampa Florida, and Clement Peter Dries SR of Peoria, Illinois, and two Grandchildren, Kimberly June Dries and Gregory Leroy Dries of Bartonville, Illinois.

He was preceded in death by four brothers (Joseph 1952, William 1972, George 1968 and Peter 1975) and two sisters, Mary Dries and Virginia Dries.

(Peoria Journal Star, Jan. 6, 1976, submitted by Pamela Selberg-Dries-Lewis)

Back to top



Mr. Ellis Was Taken Ill July 18 and Passed Away Last Evening After a Lingering Illness Funeral at Elmwood, Ill.

Clyde A. Ellis died at his home at 850 Faulkner Avenue in Riverside last night at 8:00 o'clock of typhoid fever.

Mr. Ellis was taken ill July 14, just four days after moving into the beautiful new home that he had just completed in Riverside The attack of fever was severe from the first. A delirious condition prevailed most of the time and his mind was constantly on his work of decorating store windows and selling goods. After sixty-one days of illness the disease conquered and Mr. Ellis passed away.

The body was taken to the undertaking parlors of A G Mueller, 142-6 North Market street, where it lay in state today in the chapel between the hours of 3 and 5 o'clock. This evening the body will be shipped over the Santa Fe railroad at 10:15 o'clock in Mr. Ellis's former home in Elmwood, Ill. where interment will take place. The funeral service be held Monday afternoon at Elmwood, and the body will be laid to rest in the beautiful Elmwood cemetery. There will be no burial service here.

Clyde A. Ellis came to Wichita seven years ago and entered the employ of the Greenfield Clothing company as head window decorator. After three years of valuable services, he left Wichita for Memphis, Tenn. to superintend the opening of a Greenfield store in that city, where he remained for six months.

His Services Much Sought

The Globe Clothing company offered the head window decorator position to him and he accepted it. After two years with the Globe, the Boston Store secured his services to decorate the windows for its opening, After six months with the Boston Store he returned to the Globe, where he was employed when taken ill.

Mr. Ellis was an active and valuable member of the Retail Clerks union. His circle of friends extended throughout the city. His jolly nature and good fellowship made friends of all his acquaintances. Among his friends he was known as the silver tongued tenor. He having a rare high tenor voice of unusual sweetness. The quartet which had him for his tenor was envied by all others. The Elk quartet and the Elite quartet were two of the local musical organizations he had charge of and helped make popular.
The parents of Mr. Ellis were immediately notified when their son was taken ill. They were at his bedside constantly during his illness and at his death.

Four months before coming to make Wichita his home Mr. Ellis married the playmate of his boyhood days. Mrs. Ellis with his father and mother are among the surviving relatives.

Clyde A. Ellis was the only son of Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Ellis. He was born at Elmwood, Ill., on May 17, 1877.

(Wichita Beacon Kansas, Sept. 17, 1909, submitted by Grace Sligar)

Back to top


ELTING: In Peoria, Ill., on Friday, March 8, John Elting, formerly of Barrytown, N.Y., in the 70th year of his age.

(New York Times, Apr. 5, 1861, pg. 5, submitted by Janet Turnbull)

Back to top


ELTING: On Friday, Jan. 1. Mrs. Catharine A., wife of the late John Elting, of Peoria, Ill., and daughter of the late Henry Lyle, of Dutchess County, N.Y.

The funeral services will be held at the Reformed Dutch Church, Upper Red Hook, on Monday, Jan 4 at 2 o'clock P.M.

(New York Times, Jan.3, 1864, pg. 5, submitted by Janet Turnbull)

Back to top


Julia A, Douglas, daughter of Thos. And Mary Douglas, was born near Sterling, Canada, October 15, 1846. When a small child she came with her parent to Illinois and settled near Elmwood. When a girl she united with the Church of England. She was married to Nathaniel S. Ennis in the year 1869. To this union were born four children, one dying in infancy. Three are left to mourn her loss, Henry A, Ennis of Galesburg, Ill., William E. Ennis of E. Galesburg, Ill., Minnie E. Ennis of Monica, Ill., also six grandchildren and two brothers, Henry Douglas of Emerson, Iowa and George Douglas of Osage City Kas, besides a host of neighbors and friends. Her husband preceded her in death in the year 1912.

(Princeville Telephone, 1920, transcribed by Mike McMullen)

Back to top


Well-known and loved during her residence here for the past 11 years, Mrs. Essie L Emery succumbed Saturday evening at the family home, 814 Belle street, at the age of 65 years. She had been in ill health for nearly one year. Besides her husband, Joseph M Emery, she is mourned by four sons, Ray E, of this city, Harry of Dunlap, Illinois, Ralph J, of Texas, and Teddy M,. of Bakersfield,; four daughters, Mrs. F C Moffett, and Mrs. George Cathley, both of this city; Mrs. T K Carter of Bakersfield, and Mrs. P C Walker of Breckenridge, Texas, ten grand-children and two brothers and three sisters in the east.

Mrs. Emery was born at Dunlap, Illinois, on Jan 24, 1868. She came to California with her family 13 years ago. Through her kindly ways and helpful disposition she made a wide circle of friends. Throughout her lifetime she was a member of the Methodist church. The funeral will be conducted at that church here tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 o'clock. Interment is to be at Sunnyslope cemetery. (Date handwritten on the article is 10/23/1933, unknown California newspaper, 1933, submitted by Bobbie Verstraete)

Back to top


EAST PEORIA - Mildred D. Erickson, 76, of 902 Fondulac Drive died at 2:40 a.m. Monday, Jan. 18, 1999, at Methodist Medical Center in Peoria. Born March 6, 1922, in East Peoria to Ray and Francis Brodt Densberger, she married Louis C. Erickson on June 14, 1941, in East Peoria. He survives.

Also surviving are her mother of East Peoria; two daughters, Cyndi Moss of East Peoria and Tami Shepherdson of Morton; two brothers, Melvin Densberger and Don Densberger, both of East Peoria; one sister, Phyllis McCallum of Florida; seven grandchildren; and one great-grandchild. Her father preceded her in death.

She was executive secretary to the president of the Toledo, Peoria and Western Railroad and the Santa Fe Railroad, retiring in 1984. She was a member of the National Secretaries Association and the TP&W Railroad Retirees Club. She was a life member of First United Methodist Church in East Peoria, where services will be at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday. The Rev. Dr. Phillip Icenogle will officiate. Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. today at Remmert Funeral Home and one-half hour before services at the church. Burial will be in Fondulac Cemetery. Memorials May be made to her church.

(Peoria Journal Star, Jan. 19, 1999, submitted by Murray Hines)

Back to top


EAST PEORIA - Louis C. Erickson, 80, of 902 Fondulac Drive, former fire chief and deputy coroner, died at 8 a.m. Monday, Sept. 11, 2000, at his residence. Born Dec. 18, 1919, in East Peoria to Louis F. and Katherine M. Meyers Erickson, he married Mildred D. Densberger on June 14, 1941, in East Peoria. She died Jan. 18, 1999, in East Peoria.

Surviving are two daughters, Cyndee Moss of East Peoria and Tami (and John) Shepherdson of Morton; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

He was a World War II Coast Guard veteran, serving in the Atlantic Theater for one year. He was assistant manager of A&P grocery and later owned the East End market in East Peoria from 1947 to 1954. He served on the East Peoria Fire Department for 47 years, beginning as a volunteer fireman in 1947. He became chief in 1957, a position he held for 23 1/2 years until retiring on May 1, 1980. He also served on the Fire Pension Board, retiring in 1993. He was a director of Civil Defense for East Peoria for 20 years. He also served as deputy coroner for Tazewell County for 10 ½ years. He was a life member of the International Association of Fire Chiefs, the Illinois Fire Chiefs Association, East Peoria Chamber of Commerce and the Central Illinois Industrial Association. He was a member of the Fraternal Order of Fire Fighters, the National Association of Fire Protection, the American Insurance Association, the International Association of Arson Investigators, the American Ambulance and Rescue Association, the International Association of Rescue and First Aid and the Tazewell County Fireman's Association, where he served two terms as past president. He was a speaker for the Fire Rescue Service, where he coordinated fire safety seminars in the Peoria area. He was a former member of the Rotary Club.

He was a member of First United Methodist Church in East Peoria for many years, where services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday. The Rev. Vaughn Hoffman will officiate. Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Remmert Funeral Home in East Peoria and one hour before services at the church. Burial will be in Fondulac Cemetery. Memorials may be made to his church or to the East Peoria Fire Department.

(Peoria Journal Star, Sep. 12, 2000, submitted by Murray Hines)

Back to top

Walter Eubanks


Walter Eubanks, 77, a retired farmer of rural Elmwood died at 4:30 p.m. yesterday at Proctor Hospital, Peoria, where he had been a patient since Wednesday.

Services will be at 2:00 p. m. Monday at Patterson Funeral Home, the Reverend Floyd Blackard officiating.

Burial will be in Elmwood Cemetery.

He was born in Hillsboro, Ohio, June 3, 1892, the son of Francis and Lydia Paris Eubanks, and married Martha J. Yates.

Surviving are his widow, a daughter, Mrs. Gerald Foster of rural Elmwood; a grandchild and four great-grandchildren.

Mr. Eubanks was a member of the Peoria County Farm Bureau. [Note: he died 4-10-1970 in Trivoli, Illinois]

(Peoria Journal, April 11, 1970, submitted by Robert Eubanks)

Back to top

John W. Evans

John W. Evans, 75, of 1423 Second Avenue, a resident of Peoria all his life, died at 1:30 a.m. Wednesday at Proctor Hospital where he had been a patient a week.

Born January 1, 1870, in Peoria, he was a son of Mose and Elizabeth B. Joyce Evans, and married Katherine Schmidt here April 20, 1896. Mr. Evans had worked for many years as a stationary engineer on the Rock Island Railroad, and had been employed recently by the Cereal Food Products Co. until his retirement a year ago.

Surviving are his wife; one daughter, Mrs. Sylvia J. Hueper and two granddaughters, Diane and Donna Hueper, all of Medinah.

Funeral Services will be held at 2:30 p.m. Saturday at the Wilton Mortuary with the Rev. M. L. Bischoff of St. Paul's Lutheran Church officiating. Burial will be in Parkview Cemetery. Friends may call at the mortuary Friday afternoon and evening. (Peoria Star, Thursday, May 16, 1946, pg. 28, submitted by Debbie Martin)


John Evans is not buried at Parkview Cemetery. He is buried in Springdale Cemetery.

Back to top

Mrs. Eyre Dead

Princeville, Ill., Tuesday Peoria County lost another old settler on Saturday at 5 p. m., when Mrs. Alice Coburn Eyre, of Princeville, Ill., closed her eyes in deaths eternal sleep. Mrs. Eyre was the daughter of Rachel Eltzroth Coburn and was born August 29. 18555, near Princeville. Here entire life has been spent. Her father and three brothers going to the war, and her father dying in the south. During the rebellion the mother with her family moved into Princeville and on Feb.6, 1887, the deceased was untied in marriage with Preston Eyre who survives her. She also leaves two daughters, Mrs. Bessie Kellar and Mrs. Luella Ward, also two grandchildren.

Of her fathers family of twelve children, she leaves three brothers Elijah Coburn of 303 Illinois Avenue, this city; W. W. Coburn, of Piper City, Ill., and Jason Coburn, of Los Angeles, Cal.; two sisters, Mrs. Carrie Bishop, of Dell Rapids S. D. and Mrs. Mae Dusten, of Princeville. Other relatives in this city are her nephews, Guy R. Coburn of 715 Thrush avenue and Clyde Coburn of the Penny Grocery Co.

Mrs. Eyre was a member of the Methodist church and also of the Order of Rebeccas. She lived a consistent Christian life and many families in and around Princeville can testify to the ministrations of her kindly hands where sickness, sorrow or death were. Mrs. Eyre was always willing and anxious to go and do all in her power. She was never of very strong constitution. She was stricken about a year and a half ago with that dread disease, cancer of the breast. Last October she came to the Procter Hospital and submitted to an operation and for some time seemed much better, but a few months ago the cancer reappeared and despite medical skill, she failed rapidly and at last her death relieved her from her terrible suffering.

The funeral took place at Princeville Monday at 1:30 p. m., and the interment was in the cemetery here.

Mrs. Eyre goes to her eternal rest beloved of her family and sincerely mourned by her friends.

(Princeville Telephone, 1915, transcribed by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

Members of G. A. R and The Odd Fellows Attend Funeral of Preston Eyre


Survived The Horrors of Libby Prison In The Service Of His Country

Preston Eyre was born in Bethel township, Delaware County Pa. Aug 11, 1844 and died in Quincy, Illinois Dec 17, 1918, aged 74 years, 4 months and 6 days.
At the age of sixteen he enlisted in Co. D. 8th Cavalry, Pennsylvania Volunteers. He participated in all the engagements with his Company, until he was captured at the battle of Trevillans Station, Va. June 11 1864. He was taken to Libby prison for two days and then transferred to Andersonville, where he remained until Nov. 1864,when he was removed to Florence, So. Carolina and was honorably discharged in Aug 1865.

He was married to Alice E. Coburn in Princeville, Feb. 6, 1887, this union born two daughters, Bessie M. Keller and Luella Ward.
Mrs. Eyre died Sept. 15, 1915.

He leaves to mourn his death, his two daughters, one brother, D. W. Eyre of Montana, and two sisters Caroline Eyre of Northtown, Pa., and Belle Dailey, of Choctaw, Oklo.

Members of the G. A. R., and Odd Fellows, attended in a body. The funeral service was held at Princeville M.E. Church, Thursday Dec, 19th, in charge of Rev. L. P. Bear. Interment was in the Princeville cemetery.

(Princeville Telephone, Dec. 1918, transcribed by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

Funeral Services For Mrs. Opal Duggins Are Held Tuesday

Mrs. Opal Duggins, 44, wife of Emmett Duggins, formerly of the Jubilee and Monica communities and daughter of Mr. Mrs. R. L. Black of Wyoming, passed away unexpectedly Friday in Lakeland, Fla.

She was born November 26, 1912, a daughter of Robert and Ada Brown Black in Bement. She was united in marriage to Emmett S. Duggins November 26, 1931. For a few years the Duggins lived near Monica, moving to Florida a couple of years ago.

Her husband survives, together with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Black of Wyoming, two sisters, Miss Helen Black of Wyoming and Mrs. Leo Gumbel of Peoria; and two brothers, Robert J. Black of Monica and George Black of Toulon.

Funeral services were held in the Bouton Memorial Home Tuesday afternoon with Rev. E. L. Fernandes of the Arcadia Presbyterian church of Peoria in charge. Howard and Regina Layman, the singers, were accompanied on the organ by Mrs. Marguerite Harmon.

Interment was in Swan Lake Memorial Gardens. Pallbearers were Ernest Elwell, Donald Duggins, Phillip DuWolf, Sanford White, James DeBord and Preston Keller.

(Unknown newspaper, Aug. 10, 1957, transcribed by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

Funeral Service for Joseph Duggins are Held On Saturday

Joseph Duggins, 62 well and favorably known farmer south of Princeville, passed away Wednesday afternoon, December 13, in St, Francis Hospital in Peoria after an illness of five weeks. He was admitted to the hospital Thursday, December 4.

He was born in Litchfield, KY. February 15, 1890, a son of Joseph and Sarah Armstrong Duggins. He united in marriage with Miss Frontier Smith in Dunlap, April 19, 1911. She preceded him in death.

He was a familiar figure in Princeville and was keenly interested in the field of sports. His sterling character and pleasing personality won for him a large circle of friends. He will be greatly missed by all who knew him.

Surviving are two sons, Donald of Monica and Clifford of Princeville and one daughter, Mrs. Joanna Elwell of Princeville; three grandchildren; and on brother, Amos of Vincennes, Ind.

(Unknown newspaper, Dec. 1952, transcribed by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

Rites Held Wednesday For Former Monica Resident

Henry Austin Ennis was born on a farm in Stark county, Illinois, March 11, 1873 and dies at the Moline hospital, Moline, Ill., November 3, 1939 at 65(?) years 7 months and 24 days.

He was the son of Nathaniel S. and Julia Douglas Ennis.

His parents moved to Monica, Ill., when he was just a child and was educated in the Monica and Princeville schools.

He was married to Cora E. Shipley on November 9,1898 and to this union two children were born, George W. and John S., who now reside in Galesburg, Ill.

He was a loving father and a friendly neighbor to all who knew him.

Also surviving him are two grandsons, his brother Wm. Ennis of Randall, Ill., a sister, Mrs. Minnie Simons of Monica, Ill. and several nieces and nephews.

(Princeville Telephone, Nov. 1939, submitted by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

Former Resident of Princeville Dies In Missouri March 17.

Word has been received here of the death of Fred DeBord, who passed away in his home in Maitland, Mo., March 17. He had been in falling health for some time and was 95 years of age at the time of his death. He is survived by his wife, Sarah Whittington DeBord.

He was born April 29 1858 on a farm northwest of Princeville, the son of Reuben R. and Julia Hall DeBord and was the brother of William, Henry, Charles, Frank, and A. B. DeBord and of Mrs. Emma Gladfelter, Mrs. Ella Wear, Mrs. Clara Sanford and Miss Harriet DeBord all of whom preceded him in death.

In his early years he engaged in farming near the home place in Princeville township. One son Bernice passed away in Maitland, Mo., many years ago.

He was born April 19, 1858 and passed away March 17, 1952, aged 93 years 10 months and 18 days.

Funeral services were conducted Saturday, March 19 at 2 p.m. in Maitland Mo. Burial was in the K. of P. cemetery.

(Princeville Telephone, March 1952, submitted by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

Funeral Services For Lloyd Gladfelter DeBord Are Held Here Tuesday

Lloyd Gladfelter, son of George and Emma DeBord was born in Princeville November 1881 and passed away in the Kewanee Public hospital the evening of June 27 after an illness of eight years.

He was very patient and never complained and always glad to see the friends that called.

He is survived by two sisters; Mrs. Nellie Brockway of Princeville who cared for him all during the years of his illness and Mrs. Bertha Murphy of Santa Monica Calf.; three nephews, Francis Brockway of Wyoming, Eugene Brockway of Peoria and Harold Murphy of Los Angeles Calf,; one niece Mrs. Helen Melvin of Los Angels Calif.; two grandnephews and two grandnieces.

Services were held Tuesday at 2:00 p.m. in Bouton Memorial with Rev. J. J. Gross of the Methodist church officiating.

Pallbearers were David Smith, Sherman Cornish, Harry Belford, LeRoy Chambers, Calvin Stovell and Charles DeBord. He was laid to rest in the Princeville cemetery.

(Princeville Telephone, June 1952, submitted by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

Last Rites For Miss DeBord Are Held March 30.

Harriet DeBord, a resident of Princeville for many years and daughter of one of Princeville's pioneer families, passed away in the Proctor Endowment Home in Peoria March 28, 1951. She had been ill for several months and confined to her bed since falling and breaking her hip in August of last year.

She was born March 29. 1866 on the farm northwest of Princeville, a daughter of Reuben R. and Julia Hall DeBord. She was one of eleven brothers and sisters, only one of whom Fred DeBord of Maitland Mo., survives her. She spent her early years on the farm and in Princeville, for many years caring for her invalid mother. She operated a millinery shop in Princeville for several years moving to Manito for a few years and finally located her shop in Peoria where she was in business for about ten years.

Miss DeBord was of a quiet and kind disposition, always cheerful and friendly, beloved by her family and her friends. She was a member of the Methodist church of Princeville. She spent her last years in the Proctor Endowment Home in Peoria, where she passed away. She leaves many nieces and nephews, grand nieces and nephews and innumerable friends who will sadly miss her.

Funeral services were held at the Bouton Memorial home Friday afternoon March30 and internment was in the Princeville cemetery.

Pallbearers were Frank DeBord, Charles DeBord, Richard DeBord, Bill Blair, William Gelling and Ralph Gelling. Fred DeBord was sick and couldn't attend the funeral.

(Princeville Telephone, March 1951, submitted by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

Mrs. DeBord Dies After Short Illness

Funeral services for Mrs. Matilda DeBord, 86, widow of Frank DeBord, were held last Friday afternoon at Bouton Memorial home, with Rev. Chas. Smith officiating. She was laid to rest in the Princeville cemetery. Pallbearers were Delmar Grossaint, Ralph Geiling, Merle Schaad, Walter Fast, Vaughan William and Fred Belford.

Born the daughter of Solomon and Elizabeth Blanchard Bliss in Princeville, May 7, 1863, she passed away at the home of her daughter. Mrs. Mable Geiling of Monica, June 14,1949, after a short illness. She was the youngest of a family of eight children, Onias, Charles, Ezra, Emma, Bliss Burgess, Viola Bliss Hoag, who preceded her in death and on living brother, John Bliss of Princeville.

Her grandparents were among the first settlers of Princeville, coming here in 1836 and 1838.

She received her education in the village school. She was married to Frank DeBord, Feb.3, 1881 at Peoria. To this union eight children were born: Charles of Toulon, Frank of Deer Creek, Fred of Peoria, Mrs. Fern Gourley of Peoria and Mrs. Mable Geiling of Monica, She leaves behind 11 grandchildren and 12 great grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her husband, two sons, Pearl and Edward and one daughter Ola.

She became a Christian in her youth and united with the Methodist church and lived a pure good life to the end, She was a member of the choir and taught Sunday school for many years.

She was a member of the Eastern Union Grove Chapter No. 229.

(Princeville Telephone, June 1949, submitted by Mike McMullen)

Back to top


Frank DeBord, 88, prominent retired farmer of this community and for a number of years a resident of Peoria, passed away last Thursday at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Mable Gelling of near Monica, where he and his wife had recently been living.

Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at Bullock funeral home, conducted by Rev. A. H. Northdurft, assisted b Rev. John Bliss brother-in-law of the deceased, who offered prayer. Interment was in the Princeville cemetery.

Frank DeBord son of Reuben and Julia Hall DeBord was born 3 miles northwest of Princeville April 27, 1854.

A large part of his long life was lived on his farm near the village. His parents were among the early settlers of this community. Only two are living of his father's family: Fred of Maitland, Mo. and Hattie of Peoria.

Mr. DeBord was married to Matilda Bliss, daughter of Solomon and Elizabeth Blanchard Bliss, in February 1881. Eight children were born to that union. Pearl, Ola and Edward preceded him in death. Those living are Mrs. Flora Gourley of Peoria, Charles of Toulon, Frank of Deer Creek, Fred of Morton and Mrs. Gelling of Monica.     There are 12 grandchildren and ten great grandchildren.

Note: Frank died on Nov. 25, 1943.

(Princeville Telephone, Dec. 1943, submitted by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

Hold Rites Thursday Mrs. Nellie DeLent, 81

Funeral services For Mrs. Nellie B. DeLent will be held Thursday afternoon at 1:30 o’clock from the home of her daughter, Mrs. Binnie McMillen of near Stark.

Death occurred at the home of her daughter at 4:20 a. m. Monday following a stroke, which she suffered Saturday evening.

Service will be in charge of the Rev. G. H. McClintock, of Big Rock. Song service will be given by Howard Graves.

Burial will be the Springdale cemetery at Peoria.

She was the daughter of Phillip and Margaret Cleary Brady and was born April 14, 1865, in Peoria. She was united in marriage in 1889 to Charles DeLent. They lived in Peoria many before moving to Wyoming where they resided in what is known as the “Brock Hotel.” Mr. DeLent passed away in September 1938 following which Mrs. DeLent moved to Princeville and since last September had been living at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Binnie McMillen and husband.

Surviving are her daughter, Mrs. Lucie McMillen of Princeville; two sisters, Mrs. A. B. Kitsel and Mrs. Len Rediger and a brother, Patrick Brady, all of Peoria.

(Unknown newspaper, July 31, 1946, submitted by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

Last Rites Held In Wyoming Today For Mrs. Dockham

Funeral services for Mrs. Mary McMullen Dockham, 86, of Chillicothe and formerly of this community were held in St. Dominic's Catholic church in Wyoming this morning.

Mrs. Dockham passed away at the Shady Elms convalescent home Sunday evening.

She was born in Columbia, Ill., January 18, 1867, the daughter of Hugh and Mary Shumaker McMullen. She was married to George Dockham, who preceded her in death.

Surviving is her sister. Mrs. W.R. Busch Cellestine Margreta "Cellie" Bush] of Dunlap, and several nieces and nephews. A sister preceded her in death. 

(Princeville Telephone, Jan. 1954, submitted by Mike McMullen)

Back to top


Funeral services for Leslie Dunlap, who passed away at his home Friday night, were held from the Presbyterian church in Dunlap Monday afternoon, conducted by Rev. Fouts. Interment was in the Prospect cemetery.

Mr. Dunlap, who had been failing for some time, became seriously ill last Tuesday and gradually grew weaker until the end.

His friends him to his last resting place were; Roy Richmond, L. D. Elwell, Ed Scheeler, Kenneth Yates, G. L. West and Orval Connely.

Leslie Smith Dunlap, son of Napoleon and Eliza Robinson Dunlap, was born on a farm northwest of Dunlap Jan. 2, 1868. He married Isabelle Hurst of Charles City, Iowa, March 31, 1899. They were the parents of two children, Clarence Dunlap and Mrs. Helen Smith of Princeville. The wife and two children and seven grandchildren survive, also one sister, Mrs. Stella Molohon of Jacksonville, Ill. He was a member of a family of ten children.

Mr. Dunlap joined the Dunlap Prospect Presbyterian church at the age of 17 and was a faithful member through the years. His membership in the I. O. O. F. lodge covered a long period of years and he had been a presented the 25-year jewel by his fellow members.

In spite of the handicap of the loss of hearing. Mr. Dunlap keep courage doing whatever his hands found to do, helved a quiet unassuming life and had many friends in home community of Dunlap.

(Princeville Telephone, Jan. 1944, submitted by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

Thomas Edwards

BLOOMINGTON – Thomas Lewis Edwards, 28, former resident of Princeville who had been teaching school in Chicago, died in Holy Cross Hospital there at 9:05 p.m. Wednesday.

He was born at Princeville, son of Oliver and Catherine Clark Edwards. Surviving include his mother, at Downs, Ill., and a sister, Mrs. Catherine Eakman of Peoria.

Funeral services will be at 9 a.m. Monday in Flynn Funeral Home, Bloomington; at 10 a.m. in St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Downs.

Friends may call at the funeral home after 7 p.m. Saturday.

Burial will be in Holy Cross Cemetery, Normal (no date).

Thomas Lewis Edwards, 28, a teacher in Reavis high school in Oaklawn, died at 9:05 p.m. Wednesday, November 7, in Holy Cross hospital in Chicago. He had entered the hospital a day earlier.

Funeral services were held Monday morning the George R. Flynn funeral home in Bloomington and in St. Mary’s church in Downs. Rev. Maurus Bernadel officiated and burial was in the Holy Cross cemetery, Normal.

Mr. Edwards was born in Princeville August 16, 1934, a son of Oliver D. and Catherine C. Clark Edwards. He lived in Brimfield for some years. He never married. He gained both his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Illinois State Normal university in Normal and previously taught in Long Beach, Calif., and Palatine. He spent two years with the Army medics.

Surviving are his mother of Downs; two brothers, John A. of Elmont, N. Y., and Clark of Belleville; three sisters, Mrs. Mary McManus and Miss Verna of Downs and Mrs. Catherine Eakman of Peoria.

(Unknown newspaper and date, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

Frances Mae Elliott

Elmwood, Nov. 17: Frances Mae Elliott of Yates City, 43 died suddenly of a heart attack at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Clinton Winn, living between Brimfield and Laura, at 3:15 p. m. Sunday. The body was brought to the Patterson funeral home. Funeral services will be held Wednesday at 2 p. m. in the Yates City Methodist church, with the Rev. C. W. Leonard a former Yates City pastor officiating. Burial will be besides her parents in the Princeville cemetery.

Frances Mae Elliot, daughter of Frank Hunter Elliot and Letita Hathaway Elliott, was born Dec. 21, 1899 at Princeville. She is survived by two brothers, Edwin of Yates City and Harold of Williamsfield and one sister, Miss Julia Elliott, a teacher in the Yates City schools.

(Princeville Telephone, 1942, submitted by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

Last Rites Held Tuesday for George R. Elliott

Funeral services for George R. Elliott, 90, half-brother of Harlan Elliott, were held Tuesday afternoon in the Patterson Memorial home with Rev. William Day officiating. He was laid to rest in the Yates City cemetery.

Mr. Elliott was born in Muscatine, Ia., August 31, 1861, the son of William and Mary Carpenter Elliott. He married Charity Hathway February, 1883. She preceded him in death in May 1915. He moved to Peoria county when a young boy and settled in the Monica community. Several years ago he with his family moved to Knox county near Yates City.

Surviving are four sons, Lucien of Missouri, George and John of Yates City and Robert of Peoria; 3 daughters, Mrs. Maude Heller and Mrs. Florice Bowhay, both of Yates City; nine grandchildren and 11 great grandchildren; and a half brother, Harlan Elliott of Princeville.

Mr. Elliott was a member of the Monica Methodist church

(Princeville Telephone, 1951, submitted by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

Former Resident Passes Away: Rites Are Held Wednesday

William Harold Elliott, 50, Williamsfield businessman died at 12:50 p.m. Monday in Elm Haven Nursing Home. He had been ill two years.

Funeral services were held Wednesday in the Williamsfield Methodist church. Rev. Clyde Carpenter officiated. Burial was in Princeville cemetery.

Born in Princeville November 7, 1904, he was the son of Frank H. and Latitia Hathaway Elliott. Mr. Elliott served with the U. S. Army for three years. He was stationed in Hawaii. He had been a resident of Williamsfield for 15 years.

Surviving are a sister, Mrs. Julia Shives of Williamsfield, a brother, Edwin Elliott of Yates City, and one niece, Shelia Shives. His parents and one sister preceded him in death.

(Princeville Telephone, 1955, submitted by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

Joseph K. Dixon, Retired Builder, Rites Thursday

Joseph Kinder Dixon, 81, a retired building contractor and a Peoria resident for more than 50 years died at 5:35 a. m. Monday at his residence, 1112 North Madison avenue, where he had live for 25 years.

Born Feb. 1, 1870, in Stark county, he was the son of Harrison and Jane Kinder Dixon. He married Lydia Stamm in Forrest June 18, 1903. He was a member of the Central Christian church and the Modern Woodmen of America

Surviving are his wife, two daughters, Mrs. Ruth Black and Mrs. Ella Kilton; one son, Ray Dixon, all of Peoria and four grandchildren. One daughter three brothers and three sisters preceded him in death.

Funeral services will be held at Guass mortuary at 1 p. m. Thursday with C. C. Carpenter, pastor emeritus of Central Christian church, officiating, assisted by the Rev. Raymond Alexander, minister. Place of interment has not been announced. Friends may call at Guass between 4 and 9 p. m. today.

(Peoria Journal Star, 1952, submitted by Mike McMullen)

Back to top


Any contributions, corrections, or suggestions would be deeply appreciated!

Copyright © Janine Crandell & all contributors
All rights reserved