Obituaries/Death Notices

Lewis Talbert Albert Traeger
Grover Talmage Edith Turbett
Letha Taneyhill Elmira Turbett
Milton Tate Nancy Turbett
Effie Taylor Arthur Traeger
Isaac Taylor Elizabeth Traeger
John Taylor John Traeger
Robert Taylor Gladys Traver
William D. Taylor Carol Trent
Minnie Tennery Delbert Trent
Joseph Theobold Mary Trent
Alex Thomas Henry Truitt
George Thompson Burt Tucker
Hannah Thompson Ellis Tucker
Harry Thompson Ethel Tucker
Mercy E. Tidball George Tucker
John Tillson Julia Tucker
Ann Timmons Alva Turbett
Roger Thomas Stella Turbett
Otha Tosh Caroline Tuttle



An Elmwood farmer drowned in the Kickapoo-Accidental death

Coroner Bennett returned this forenoon from Elmwood, where he went in response to an official summons last night. On arriving there he learned that Isaac D. Taylor, a highly esteemed farmer near that city, had been drowned. He summoned a jury and held a very searching inquest, which was not completed until after midnight. It resulted in the following verdict, which tells the brief story:

State of Illinois, Peoria county: In the matter of the acquisition of the body of Isaac D. Taylor, deceased, held at his residence in Elmwood township on the 21st day of September, A. D. 1887, we, the undersigned jurors, sworn to inquire into the death of Isaac D. Taylor, on oath do find he came to his death by being drowned, by accidentally falling from a bridge across the Kickapoo Creek on his own farm while repairing the same, on the 21st day of September, 1887.

Andrew J. Graham
James H. Kershow
James H. Graham
A. G. Mills
James Briggs
Hamilton Moore.

The coroner says that from appearances it would seem that the deceased was engaged in setting a row of posts or pilings in the water, and in reaching over to place one of these he lost his balance and fell into deep water. He leaves a wife and four children, one son and three daughters, was in well-to-do circumstances, and his domestic relations were apparently of a pleasantest kind. There is not a circumstance pointing to anything else but accidental drowning. The deceased carried extensive life insurance, reported as high as $29,000. (Peoria Weekly Journal, Thursday, September 29, 1887, submitted by Janine Crandell)

Back to top

Lewis Talbert

Former Custodian of Jubilee Park Is Buried in Colorado

Lewis Talbert, 86-year-old former custodian of Jubilee State Park, died August 23 in Greeley Colorado after a long illness. He left Peoria five years ago.

Mr. Talbert was born October 18, 1876 to pioneers of West Hallock and farmed most of his life in Illinois. He married Hattie Pervahn on October 15, 1909. She survives along with four daughters, Mrs. Geraldine Fisher of Greeley; Mrs. Lucille Conn, Mrs. Marjorie Smith, and Mrs. Dorothy White, all of Peoria, and four sons, Jesse of Glasford; Lawrence of Everett, Washington; Leroy of Denver; and James of Oregon. One son was killed in World War II.

Funeral services were held August 27 in Greeley, and burial was in Englewood Cemetery.

(Princeville Telephone, Sept. 12, 1963, submitted by Janet Bledsoe, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top


After a lingering illness, during which time she was a great sufferer, Mrs. John F. Taylor passed away at her home four and one-half miles Southeast of Elmwood on July 16, 1926.

She was Effie Cornelia Wasson, first daughter of George Tilford Wasson and Susan Hovenden, and one of a family of twelve children, seven of whom survive her.

Mrs. Taylor was brought up from girlhood in this community and her life has always been one of gentleness and love. She was united in marriage on September 13, 1881 to John Franklin Taylor, and to this union three children were born. Lloyd who with his family lives close to the home farm, Georga, who departed this life over four years ago leaving to the tender care of her mother her two little ones who are now bereft of one who had indeed taken a mother's place in their lives, and Wilhelmina who teaches school in Peoria. Besides Georga's two children there are two of Lloyd's children all of whom will sadly miss their Grandma.

In her suffering Mrs. Taylor was very patient and life meant so much to her that she did not give up until near the last. She loved her friends. She loved nature in a very deep and real way. To her "The heavens declared the glory of God and the firmament showed his handiwork." Of so many it might be said
"A primrose by the river's brim,
A yellow primrose was to him
And it was nothing more."
but not so to Mrs. Taylor, in the flowers she traced the mighty workings of God.

Not only by her own family-husband, children, grandchildren, brothers and sisters, but by a host of friends she will be sadly missed. The whole community loses when one so kind and true is taken. But we would not murmur nor complain, it is their gain who leave us. They have the light, we walk in the shadow. We see, even when our faith is clearest, "in a mirror darkly," but they see "face to face."

"Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me,
And may there be no moaning at the bar
When I put out to sea.
But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam
When that which drew from out the boundless deep,
Turns again home.
Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark,
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark.
For, though from out our bourne of time and place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face,
When I have crossed the bar."

The services were conducted from the home, Rev. D. W. Barclay officiating. The songs were rendered by Mrs. Charles Hill and Mrs. Frank Hitchcock, Mrs. David Jaques accompanying. Interment was made in the Elmwood cemetery.

(Elmwood Gazette, July 22, 1926, submitted by J. Robert Schmidt)

Back to top


John Franklin Taylor was born Jan. 27, 1860, in Sangamon county, Ill. He passed away Wednesday, Sept.12, at the home of his son, Lloyd Taylor, south of Elmwood.
At the age of two Mr. Taylor moved to Elmwood township with his parents with whom he resided until his marriage to Effie Wasson on Sept. 13, 1882.

He is survived by two children, Lloyd and Mrs. John K. Patterson of Riverside, California, five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren, and a sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Pulsipher, of Iowa Falls, Iowa. His wife Effie and daughter, Mrs. Georga Kyle, preceded him in death.

Funeral services were held Saturday afternoon from the Patterson Funeral home in Elmwood. Rev. Charles Vandettum read the services. Burial was in the Elmwood. cemetery.

(Elmwood Gazette, Sept. 20, 1945, submitted by J. Robert Schmidt)

Back to top

Thompson, George Donald

Patriarch of the Thompson family of Minneapolis, MN and Peoria, Illinois succumbed at age 93 on Friday, April 27th, 2007. Born July 10th, 1913 in Peoria, George was one of two children to Adrian Leonardo Thompson and Estella Marie (Murphy) Thompson. George's younger sister, Evelyn K. (Thompson) Davidson Sparks preceded him in death on April 1, 1999. George was a 10th generation American descended from one of the oldest families in America. His ancestry. dates back to the original 1614 Dutch Colonists of New York City, 6 years before the Pilgrims arrived at Plymouth Rock and includes grandparents who fought in the American Revolution, War of 1812, The Civil War and WWI.

George attended Franklin and Webster elementary schools in Peoria, IL where he sang at a city wide concert to the accompaniment of John Phillip Sousa's Band. A graduate of Manuel High School in Peoria, George lettered in football, participated in the Glee Club and became leader of the cheerleading squad.

Even while in elementary school George found himself working at assorted jobs including the Peoria Star Journal where he cut and stacked the newspapers he needed and then sold them for 3 cents per paper, 5 cents for an Extra Edition. He later served at the Star as a proof reader. Additionally, he worked at Moskins Clothing, drove trucks, dug graves and trimmed grass at Memorial Cemetery, delivered Desotos for Isch Brother and Hackshaw as well as setting the picking record at Schoff's apple orchard of 146 bushels in day.

In the early 1930's George moved to Minneapolis, MN where he met and married Frances Mary Rzeszutek on July 10, 1939 who later died on June 16th, 1996. In Minneapolis, George worked for Direct Service Gas, Northern Pump, Lansing Button Company and finished his career selling cars at Wynn Stephens Buick. He had an interim fling running his own business "Southwest Hardware Store".

George is survived by his 3 children, Arthene "Cookie" Rae (Thompson) Brecht and her husband Dwayne Elwood Brecht of Richfield, MN, Thomas Norton Thompson and his wife Elizabeth "Betty" Ann (Heard) Thompson of McHenry, IL and Terry Gene Thompson and his wife Jill Ann (Cronemiller) Thompson of Denver, Colorado; "Cookie's" children, Tracey (Brecht) Bishop, Melissa (Brecht) Nivala and Edwin Brecht; Tommy's children, Thomas, Michelle, Erik and Nicole Thompson; Terry and Jill's children, John and David Thompson; his niece and nephew, Marge Pacyna, Wayne Davidson and 5 great-grandchildren.

A memorial service will be held for George Thompson on Saturday, May 5th, 5:00 PM at:

Edina Chapel
West 50th St. & Hwy 100.

(Twin Cities Star Tribune, Monday, April 30, 2007, submitted by Sandy)

Back to top

Death of a Strong Man

At fifteen minutes past five on Monday morning, March 17, 1890, Alex. C. Thomas breathed his last. Long and painful had been his sickness. Weeks before all hopes of his recovery had been abandoned, and day by day his friends as they looked upon his wasted form and noted his slowly failing strength, had been wont to say, "He cannot last long."

Heroically did he wrestle with disease, patiently did he endure pain, manfully did he fight for life, but in that struggle Death was at last the gainer. All the strength of a strong man availeth not when the hour cometh that me must die.

Alex. C. Thomas was born in Champaign county, Ohio, May 30, 1832, and came with his parents to Peoria county in 1836, removing thence to Woodford county, Ill., four years later, where his parents both died in 1844. In the same year he came to Chillicothe, and sold goods as clerk and bought grain, etc., till 1861, when he embarked in the grocery business, succeeding J. W. McCulley, and carrying it on till 1866, when he sold it back to Mr. McCulley. In 1867-68 he erected a planing mill, and ran it for six months when he sold out the machinery and afterwards converted the building into a flouring mill, selling it in 1871 to Adam Petry, the present owner. He re-embarked in the grocery business in 1873, and has since profitably carried it on until about two years ago. He married Annie E. Aspinal, who was born in England, August 29, 1839, by whom he has had six children---Charles A., Ellen I., Edward L., Mrs. Mary E. Williams, Mrs. Annie M. Fleetwood and Edith. Mr. Thomas was a member of the I.O.O.F. and the oldest member save one in Calumet Lodge, No. 196; has filled several township offices, among them those of supervisor, assessor, collector and town clerk, and at the time of his death was a member of the board of education.

Possessed of unusual good judgement and business integrity, he was a safe and successful business man.

Of an active, energetic temperament, he took great interest and exerted more than ordinary influence in public affairs.

That he had the respect of this community was evident upon the day of funeral. The schools were closed and when the hour for the services approached there was an almost entire suspension of business throughout the city.

The funeral was from the Baptist Church on Tuesday at 2 p. m., under the direction of Calumet Lodge, No. 196, I.O.O.F. The services in the church were conducted by Rev. Fuller, assisted by Rev. Ames. The church was packed to its utmost capacity.

The casket was literally covered with the choicest of flowers, worked into beautiful and appropriate designs mute expressions of the tenderest of human sentiments.

The funeral sermon by Rev. Fuller was for the living, full of grandly solemn thoughts, that burned into the hearts of his hearers, thus brought face to face with that greatest of all enigmas, Death.

Escorted by his brother Odd Fellows of Calumet and sister lodges, to the amount of about fifty, Bro. Kirchman of the Henry Lodge and Bros. John Younger, Levi Booth, Matthias Blumle, Wm. McLain and Absalom Jones of Calumet Lodge, acting as pall bearers, all that remains on earth of Bro. Thomas was borne to the cemetery.

At the grave the brief, impressive service of the order was rendered, Bro. H. C. Pettett acting as Noble Grand, and Bro. G. M. Webber as Chaplain. And, as is the custom of the order, each brother dropped a sprig of evergreen into his grave a silent parted brother ever green in our hearts.

(Unknown newspaper and date, transcribed by Gaile Thomas, submitted by George Zane)

Back to top


Hannah Fletcher, third daughter of John and Caroline Fletcher was born March 27, 1850 at Somercotes England.  In 1856 she came with her parents to Illinois, first living in Knox county, and then in Peoria and finally settling in Trivoli where she spent the greater part of her life.  When a young girl she became a member of the Methodist Church.  During early womanhood she was a teacher in the rural schools.  April 6, 1871 she was married to Sidney D. Thompson who died in 1879, leaving her with one daughter.  Engaging in the millinery work she also was in 1888 appointed postmistress at Trivoli which office she resigned after 30 years service.  In 1920 she came to Elmwood to make her home with Mr and Mrs Owen Cottingham.  Mrs Thompson has been a member of the S.C.T.U. for 45 years, also a member of the Elmwood Womans club since its organization, always being interested in civic affairs.  She passed from this life Wednesday evening.  May 28, 1930 leaving her only daughter, Jessie Cottingham and the oldest sister, Mrs. Sarah Greenhalgh, Chico, California.

Memorial services were conducted by Rev. J W Turner Sunday, June 1st at 3 PM at the Elmwood Methodist Church.  Meadames McMullen and Troth and Messrs. Troth and Holmberg sang "Abide with Me", O love that will not let me go" and Crossing the Bar".  The casket bearers were A S McDonald, Eugene Cottingham, W A Cottingham of Trivoli, C E Beck of Eden and E Y Wrigley and F. E. Wrigley of Peoria.  Interment was at Trivoli Cemetery.  Among the out of town friends who attended the memorial services were Robert Francis and wife and J L Bourne and wife, Hanna City, Misses Elizabeth and Ella Hitchcock of Normal; Mrs. Joseph Wrigley, Mrs. F E Wrigley and daughter Mildred, Mrs. R T Graham, Mrs. Millo Prochaska, Lester Graham and wife, Chas Havenden St. and wife and Mrs. Lloyd Turl of Peoria. [NOTE: Hannah's only daughter Jessie J. Thompson was born in 1875.  Jessie married Owen Cottingham Nov 27, 1913.  Hannah's husband Sidney died June 29, 1879 when Jessie was only 4 years old.  I do not know why Sidney died, or have any information about that....unknown newspaper and date for the obit, submitted by Ginger Engler]

Back to top


John Tillson, Esq., of Quincy, Ill., died at Peoria on the night of May 11. He went to Illinois in 1820, young and poor, but by energy and industry rose to an independent position, and was highly esteemed. [Note: 1850 Federal Census for Peoria lists him as a land agent born in Massachusetts] (New York Times, May 26, 1853, page 2, submitted by Janet Turnbull)

Back to top

Arthur Traeger Funeral To Be Held Friday

Funeral services for Arthur J Traeger, 63, 3108 Western Avenue, former owner of the Peoria Machine Parts Company, 605 Franklin Street, prominent Mason and church worker, who died at 5:45 a.m. at Proctor hospital, will be held at 2 p.m. Friday at First Methodist church.  Dr. W.T. Smith will officiate and internment will be at Springdale Cemetery.  Friends may calls at the Gauss mortuary after 4 o’clock this afternoon.

For Many years Mr. Traeger has been active in First Methodist church, serving as a trustee, member of the official board on the pastoral committee.  His Masonic affiliations included Peoria Lodge No. 15; Peoria Consistory, Scottish Rite and Mohammad Temple Shrine.  For many years he was director of the Shrine Trumpeters.

Mr. Traeger founded the Peoria Machine Parts Company in 1920 retiring in 1942 due to failing health.  More recently he has been associated with Blue Cross hospitalization plan, and his last position was as appraiser for the Farmers Savings and Loan association.  Mr. Traeger was a member of the University Club.

A son of Frank and Mary Krider Traeger, he was born in Norwalk, Ohio, March 22, 1883, and married Miss Alma Margaret, sister of Dr. C. W. Margaret, in Peoria October 25, 1905. 

Surviving are his wife, and a sister, Mrs. Helena Batchelder of Glendale, California.  A son, Cedric Traeger, died in 1930.

It was announced by John M. Elliot, president of the Farmers Savings and Loan association, that the organizations offices will be closed from 1:30 to 3 p.m. Friday in respect to Mr. Traeger. 

(Peoria Journal Jan. 2, 1947, submitted by Harry Lundell)

Back to top

After Short Illness Death Claims Albert J. Traeger...

Assistant Superintendent of Sewers under Mayor Woodruff Succumbs to Pneumonia

After an illness lasting less than a week, Albert J Traeger, assistant superintendent of sewers for the City of Peoria, passed away at his home, 529 Indiana Avenue.

The dread pneumonia was the direct cause of the tragedy which took away one of the most capable young men in the service of the city government.  Death came when Albert was but twenty nine years of age and leaves to mourn a loving wife and two small children, one but two months of age.

Albert Traeger came from one of the best known families to the city and had always enjoyed a wide circle of friends.  He was popular among his associates in the city administration where he had been for over two years.  He was born on June 11, 1883, the son of Mr. and Mrs. C W Traeger.  He graduated from the public schools of the city and then entered his father’s architectural office and studied for several years.  In 1910 he entered the office of the superintendent as the first assistant and had held the post up to the time of his sudden death.  He was a member of the Modern Woodman and of the K.P.

On June 30, 1909, he was married to Miss Nina Anderson of this city, and from the union two children have been born, both boys, Sydney, who is now two years of age, and James who is but two months.  There is also one brother William, three sisters, Misses Minnie, Pearl, and Lillie Traeger, all of this city, who survive him.

The funeral is to be held on Monday afternoon at 1 o’clock, at the residence, 529 Indiana Avenue.  At 2 o’clock a service will be held at the Calvary Presbyterian church, of which the deceased was a member.  Rev. Alexander Lewis will preach the funeral sermon. Internment is to be in Springdale Cemetery.

(Peoria Journal, Oct. 26, 1912, submitted by Harry Lundell)

Back to top

Mrs. Traeger, 80, Peoria for 70 Years, Is Dead

Mrs. Elizabeth Traeger, widow of the late Charles W. Traeger, architect, and a resident of this city for more than 70 years died at 3:20 P.M. Wednesday, at her home, 107 Hurlburt street following an illness of several months. She was 80 years of age.

She was born in Nieder, Germany, May 12, 1859, a daughter of Andrew and Elizabeth Grosen-Sauer. She came to America at the age of 9 years. She was united in marriage to Mr. Traeger in Peoria July 27, 1882. The couple celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary in 1932 and it was a joyous occasion for the whole family relationship. Mr. Traeger preceded her in death May 6, 1936.

Mrs. Traeger was a woman devoted to her family and her home. In turn her family, especially her children, gave untiringly of their efforts to make their mother comfortable and happy. She was a devout member of the First Evangelical church, being one of the charter members of the congregation. She was also a member of the Women’s Missionary Society and the Lady’s Fellowship circle of the church. She was truly a woman who enjoyed living for others.

Surviving are her two daughters, Miss Minnie M. Traeger and Miss Pearl M. Traeger, both of Peoria, one son, William H. Traeger, Evanston, Illinois, a sister, Mrs. Henry Oesterly, of Peoria, four grandchildren, Virginia and William Velde and Theodore Traeger, all of Evanston, Ill., and Sidney Traeger, Hamlet, Ind., three nephews, H. Robert Arends, Chicago, Edward Oesterley and Arthur Traeger, both of Peoria, and a niece, Helena Traeger Batchelder, Los Angeles, Cal. One son Albert J. Traeger and a daughter, Lillian Traeger Gauss preceded her in death.

Funeral services will be conducted at the First Evangelical church, First and State streets, Saturday at 2:30 p.m. with Rev. John W. Bishcoff officiating. Internment will be in Springdale Cemetery. Friends may call at Gauss mortuary between 10:00 a.m. Friday and noon Saturday after which time the body will lie in state at the church until time of services.

(Peoria Star, April 11, 1940, submitted by Harry Lundell)

Back to top

John G Traeger

John Traeger, the well-known bailiff and constable, died at his residence last Thursday at 518 Fourth Street. He was born in Freiberg, Prussia, in 1823 on the 2nd of September; consequently he was a little over 65 years old. He came to this country in 1847 and settled in New York State, where he married. He came to this city in 1857, where he was a deputy marshal. In 1860 he was elected constable and has served continuously ever since. At the time of his death he was deputy United States marshal. He leaves a wife and four children, the latter all grown up and married. The funeral took place Sunday afternoon at half-past one from the house and at two o’clock from the church. His malady was general failure of the vital powers. Thus passes away one who was long prominent in public life. His great size, his wonderful activity, his unfailing humor, his readiness on all occasions to do his duty made him one of the characters of this city. Several years ago he lost much of his flesh – so that his best friends hardly knew him. He rallied from this and recovered his health, but latterly he has been failing away. And so this is the last of John Traeger. We record his demise with sorrow. (Peoria Weekly Journal, Jan. 10, 1889, submitted by Harry Lundell)

Back to top


The funeral of Henry Truitt, last Friday, was the largest ever held in this city. A great many of those present came from distant parts of the county and State. The church building, although crowded to its utmost capacity, failed to accomodate half of those who had come to pay their last respects to their friend and neighbor. The services were ably conducted by the Rev. Mr. Hewitt, of the First Baptist Church of Peoria. (Chillicothe Bulletin, Sep. 26, 1884, submitted by Janine Crandell)

Back to top


EAST PEORIA - Carol L. Trent, age 57, of East Peoria passed away at 4:10 a.m. Thursday, May 15, 2008, at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center in Peoria.

She was born Sept. 1, 1950, in Peoria to Guy and June (Lowrey) Trent.

They preceded her death along with one brother, Danny Trent; and three aunts, Dorothy Lowrey, Moedean Hoffer and Donna Trent.

Survivors include one sister, Valda (Glenn) Gehrt of Speer; one sister-in-law, Judy Trent of East Peoria; one niece, Bethanie Trent of East Peoria; and two nephews, Rian Trent of East Peoria and Jason Trent of East Grand Fork, Minn.

Carol was a graduate of East Peoria Community High School in 1967.

She then was a nurse at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center in Peoria for 32 years, retiring in 2005. While at St. Francis, she helped train paramedics and firemen. She was also a paralegal at Kingery, Durree, Wakeman and Ryan Associates.

She attended Edelstein Congregational Church.

Carol had many passions in life besides her family. These included her love for her dogs, bingo and cross stitching, for which she had won many awards. She was also a breast and cervical cancer survivor.

She will be deeply missed by not only her family but her many friends.

Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Sunday, May 18, 2008, at Davison-Fulton Woodland Chapel in Peoria.

Memorials may be made to the family.

(Peoria Journal Star, May 17, 2008, submitted by Barb Miroslaw)

Back to top


PEORIA - Delbert Eugene Trent Sr., 58, of Peoria died at 5:52 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 17, 2003, at Methodist Medical Center.

He was born Nov. 13, 1944, in Peoria to Wiliam C. and Mary Louise Sawatzki Trent.

Surviving are four sons, Delbert Jr., Raymond, William and Robert, all of Peoria; three stepdaughters, Penny (and Robert) DePas of Kilbourne, Wanda Schertz of Cambria and Terri Schertz, of Peoria; four grandchildren; eight stepgrandchildren; three brothers, Ronald (and Connie) Sawatzki, Donald (and Sally) Sawatzki ad Robert (and Susie) Sawatzki, all of Peoria; and three sisters, Marietta (and Ron) Merideth of Chicago, Dodie (and Lyle) Smith of Pekin and Irene Gosnell of Canton.

He was preceded in death by Rebecca Schertz, with whom he had made his home.

He worked for McCoy's Quality Service doing maintenance at Ruppman's.

Cremation will be accorded, and private burial of ashes will be in Lutheran Cemetery at a later date. Arrangements are by Davison-Fulton Bartonville Chapel.

Memorials may be made to the American Lung Association.

(Peoria Journal Star, Sept. 19, 2003, submitted by Barb Miroslaw)

Back to top


PEORIA - Mary Ellen Trent, 72, formerly of Peoria, died at 6:05 p.m. Saturday, March 6, 1999, at Fondulac Woods Health Care Center in East Peoria, where she was a resident.

Born Sept. 12, 1926, in Farmington to Harry and Eunice Zimmerman Barlow, she married Wayne Trent. He died in 1985. Three brothers, three sisters and two great-grandchildren also preceded her in death.

Surviving are four sons, Michael and Eldon, both of Peoria, David of Hanna City and Gary of Canton, Mich.; one sister, Virginia Ritter of Peoria; 13 grandchildren; 20 great-grandchildren.

She worked at Bemis Bag Co. for 31 years, retiring in 1987. Services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at Davison-Fulton Western Chapel, where visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Wednesday. Burial will be in Lutheran Cemetery.

Memorials may be made to any charity.

(Peoria Journal Star, Mar. 8, 1999, submitted by Barb Miroslaw)

Back to top


Many local people will be sorry to learn of the death of Mrs. Ann Timmons a former resident of the Edelstein community.

Mrs. Timmons passed away at St. Joseph’s home in Minneapolis Sunday 8, of a heart ailment due to her advanced age of 91 years.

Her maiden name was Ann McDonna. She was born in Millbrook township, Illinois, on August 23, 1856, daughter of Redmond and Catherine Garrigan. In March 1876, she moved with her parents to a farm near Edelstein, Ill., where she lived until she was unites in marriage to John Timmons on March 4, 1878. Mr. Timmons passed away the following November of a heart ailment. One son John was born to this union on December 13. 1878.

Mrs. Timmons was the eldest and last living member of a family of five brothers and sisters including Michael, Frank, and Mathew McDonna, Mrs. Katie Callery, and Mrs. Bridget Jennings.

For many years, while serving as a priest housekeeper in Lisbon, N. D., she also spent much time with her brother Mathew McDonna, and family there.

Mrs. Timmons was an intelligent sympathetic woman; an earnest Christian setting a good example in piety and faithfulness to all. In spite of her advanced age she had the blessings of good eyesight, hearing, and mental facilities until her death.

The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Henry Boerboom at St Vincent de Paul’s Catholic church at Osseo, Minn., on Tuesday morning, December 10, at 9:30 o’clock. Burial was made at St. Mary’s of the Woods cemetery in Princeville beside her husband.

Besides her son John Timmons and wife, of Osseo, Minn., she is survived by seven grandchildren, and seven great grandchildren, seventeen nieces and nephews. A host of friends mourn her passing.

Mrs. Timmons was an aunt of Frank, Leo, and Ray Callery of Princeville and Mae Callery of Cabary.

(PrincevilleTelephone, December 1946, submitted by Mike McMullen)

Back to top


Mrs. Caroline E. Tuttle, whose maiden name was Robinson, was born September 29, 1829, at Sandy Creek, Oswego Co., N.Y. On March 25, 1854, she was married to Eli Tuttle, of the same place, with whom for over forty years she has pursued life's journey. In November, 1856, Mr. and Mrs. Tuttle moved to Peoria County, Illinois, where they have since resided. Mrs. Tuttle became an active christian early in life and has ever been an earnest worker in the church and in the Sunday school, so far as the failing health of later years would permit. About three weeks ago Mrs. Tuttle went to Chicago to visit the family of her son William H. One week ago Tuesday morning, or August 28, unnatural cries called the family to her bedside to find that a stroke of apoplexy had already rendered one half of her body lifeless and deprived her of speech beyond the words "yes" and "no" uttered with difficulty. For two days she could hear what others said to her and spoke with her eyes the love and blessing which her lips refused to utter. On September 2 in the morning, Mrs. Tuttle died as dies the christian at the age of 64 years, 11 months and 4 days. Her death was like her life, peaceful and serene. As faded the darkness into the light last Sunday morning, her earthly life faded away and she entered upon an eternal Sabbath of rest in that better home where she waits the coming of her friends and loved ones.

(Unknown newspaper, Sept. 1894, submitted by George Zane, transcribed by Gaile Thomas)

Back to top


Mercy Elizabeth Tidball was born in Millersburg, Ohio, Nov. 28, 1829, died after a lingering illness in Oswewo, Ill., at the home of her son-in-law, the Rev. R. C. Townsend, Oct. 15, 1904, aged 74 years 10 months and 17 days.

Deceased came to Indiana with her parents when about 16 years of age making her home in Wabash county, Ind., till Aug. 20, 1857, when she was married to the Rev. Andrew D. Jacke.

With him she went as a missionary to Africa. In about two years she was stricken down with a very severe attack of African fever which nearly took her life.

She was brought back to America that she might fully recover; and for years cherished the hope of returning to her chosen field of labor, but no physician would consent to it.

She was always an earnest advocate of foreign missions; although the greater part of her life was spent in home mission work, much of it in Kansas and the Indian Territory, for her husband's work was mostly on the frontier.

Since her husband's death nearly eleven years ago, she has made her home with her daughter, Mrs. Townsend.

Of her five children, two died in infancy, one daughter at the age of 14, and a son in early manhood, just 20 years ago.

She leaves to mourn her loss a sister, Mrs. H. M. Chinworth of Roann, Ind., one daughter, Mrs. Townsend; five grand children and a host of friends among those with whom and for whom she labored.

In early life she professed her faith in Christ and united with the Presbyterian church. Her work for Christ and the church did not cease until she was disabled by disease.

Funeral services conducted by Rev. D. T. Robertson were held at the home of her son-in-law, in Oswego, Ill., Oct. 17, at 3 p.m. and also at Lawrence, Kansas, Oct. 18, where she was interred.

(Unknown newspaper and date, submitted by George Zane, transcribed by Gaile Thomas)

Back to top

Farmer, 91 Killed In Fall As Wind Topples Ladder

A 91-year-old man was fatally injured Wednesday when he fell from a ladder while working at his farm home.

George W. Tucker, 91, of Radnor township, near Edwards, died at 10:30 last night at Methodist hospital about three hours after he was found unconscious by his son, Irvin R. Tucker. It is believed he had been cleaning gutters on the two-story house. Apparently a gust of wind caused the ladder to slip and Mr. Tucker in falling struck his head on the cement sidewalk.

Coroner Chauncey Wood is conducting an investigation.

Mr. Tucker, a lifelong resident of the Edwards community retired from active farming about 20 years ago but enjoyed working around his acreage, where he spent all of his life. He was born Aug. 1, 1861, on the farm, to Cyrus W. and Fannie Keim Tucker. He married Ann Radley in 1895. Mr. Tucker was a member of the Baptist church and Radnor grange.

Surviving are the son, Irvin, who lives at the farm home and two daughters, Miss Georganna Tucker, also at the home, and Mrs. Ada Peach, Pine Grove, Pa. His wife died in 1940.

(Unknown newspaper, May 1953, transcribed by Mike McMullen)

Back to top


Two former Caterpillar men have given their lives in the defense of their, country against the onslaught of the Japanese Empire.

Corp. Alva Turbett, who was employed in Experimental Machine Shop prior to his entry into the armed service, was killed in action December 14 in the Philippine Islands. Alva was inducted into the army March 10, 1941.

News & Views recently printed a letter from Alva at Fort Stotsenburg? in the Philippines in which he gave an interesting description of the islands. While in Peoria he lived with his brother, L. D. Turbett at 500 West Richwoods Boulevard.

Seaman Roger Thomas, former welder in Road Machinery, also met his death while serving with his country’s armed forces against the Japanese in the Pacific. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Thomas of Green Valley, Ill. Where in the Pacific Roger was killed was not revealed.

Caterpillar is proud of these two young men who made the supreme sacrifice so that their fellowmen may continue to enjoy the free way of life.


First Selectee of Peoria Area to Be Victim

Corp. Alva Turbett, 31, better known to friends here as Orville Turbett, is believed to be the first Peoria selectee to be killed in action in the war in the Pacific. Word of his death Dec 14 in the Philippines was received Wednesday by his brother L. D. Turbett, 500 West Richwoods boulevard.

Permitted to leave the service because he was over 28 years of age, he re-enlisted and was sent to Fort Stotsenburg on Luzon. Drafted here last March 10, he had since been promoted to a corporalship in the coast artillery. Before leaving here, we was employed in the experimental department at Caterpillar Tractor company.

Corp. Turbett was born Nov 10, 1910 at Hanna City, son of the late James and Ada Turbett. He was graduated from Washington grade school here and from Peoria high school. Unmarried, he lived with his brother L. D. Turbett.

Also surviving are two brothers, Milo Turbett of Creve Coeur and Walter Turbett of Pekin, and a sister, Mrs. Emma Hurtley of Indianapolis.

(Unknown newspaper and date, submitted by Linda T.)

Back to top

Mrs. Burt Tucker Of Dunlap is Laid To Rest Tuesday

Ethel Lois Tucker, wife of Burt G. Tucker of Dunlap, was born November 29, 1889 near Dunlap and passed away early Saturday morning. December 30 in the Methodist hospital in Peoria.

She was the daughter of Adolphus J. and Emma Newkirk Rodgers. But for two years in Kansas, Mrs. Tuckers was a life long resident of the Dunlap community.
Her marriage to Mr. Tucker took place in Springfield January 18 1919. To this union six children were born.

Surviving are her husband and five children, Mrs. Blanche Hicks of Kankakee, Mrs. Alma Black of Monica, Mrs. Emma Douglas of Woodhull, Raymond of Dunlap and Robert of Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo. An infant son preceded her in death.

Mrs. Tucker was a member of the Dunlap Presbyterian church. She was loved and respected by all who knew her.

Memorial services were held from the Prospect Presbyterian church in Dunlap Tuesday afternoon with Rev. Marion Floyd in charge. She was laid to rest in the Prospect cemetery.

Pallbearers were Ben Johnson, Fred Yess, Joe Camp, Fred Smith, Dave Evans and Merle Smith.

(Unknown newspaper, 1950, transcribed by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

Last Rites Held For Burt Tucker Saturday Afternoon

Funeral services for Burt Tucker, 65, retired farmer Dunlap, were held in the Bouton Memorial home in Princeville Saturday at 3 p.m. with Rev. Marion Floyd officiating. Interment was in Prospect cemetery at Dunlap. Pallbearers were Ben Johnson, Joseph Camp, Fred Smith, Fred Yess, Elwood Harlan and John Symonds Jr.

Burt George Tucker was born near Dunlap August 8, 1888, the son of Robert and Gertrude Ballard Tucker. He passed away May 21 in the Seven Oaks sanitarium in Princeville.

He was married to Ethel Rodgers January 18, 1910. Mrs. Tucker passed away December 30, 1950. An infant son also preceded him in death.

Mr. Tucker, a lifelong resident of the Dunlap community, is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Blanche Hicks of Kankakee, Mrs. Alma Black of Monica and Mrs. Emma Douglas of Reddick; two sons, Raymond and Robert of Dunlap; eight grandchildren; one great grandchild, and a sister, Mrs. Nola Nickolls of Cedar Rapids, Ia.

(Unknown newspaper, May 1953, transcribed by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

For ‘Dave’ Tucker Held Wednesday

Ellis Duane (Dave) Tucker, 59, a resident of Brimfield most of his life, died Tuesday morning in the Americana Nursing Home in Peoria after an illness of several months.

He was born in rural Brimfield August 24, 1905, the son of Duane and Julia Paul Tucker. He had been employed at various time at Caterpillar Tractor Co., the Princeville Canning Co., and other places in Brimfield.

Surviving are four brothers and eight sisters. He was preceded in death by his parents and one brother.

Funeral services were at 4 p.m. today in the Patterson Funeral Home in Elmwood with Rev. E. L. Fernandes of Peoria officiating. Burial was in the Brimfield cemetery.

(Unknown newspaper, 1964, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

Mrs. Traver

BRIMFIELD – Mrs. Gladys Fern Traver, 63, of RR 1, Brimfield, died at 6:10 a.m. Saturday in her home.

Services will be at 2 p.m. Monday in the Brimfield Union Church. The Rev. Kenneth Stuckey will officiate and burial will be in Swan Lake Memory Gardens. Visitation is from 3 to 5 and 7 to 9 p.m. today at the Schreiner Funeral Home, Brimfield.

Mrs. Traver was born in Woodford County, Nov. 23, 1901, a daughter of William and Catherine Winkler Jones. She married George Traver, June 25, 1924, in Ottawa.

Surviving are her husband, two sons, Duane E. of Rutland and Virgil G. of Dunlap; five grandchildren; three sisters, Mrs. Mildred Clater, East Peoria, Mrs. Fern Yutt, Creve Coeur, Mrs. Dorothy Braun and Mrs. Floyd W. Jones, both of Washburn. A brother preceded her in death.

Mrs. Traver was a member of the Union Church of Brimfield and its Woman’s Association. Memorial contributions may be made to the church’s building fund. (1965)

(Unknown newspaper, 1965, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

Robert Taylor, Sr.

Robert Taylor was born in Lancashire, England, October 22, 1845 and departed this life August 6, 1928 at 4:20 a. m. The decedent had meet with a accident, falling out of a cherry tree a couple of years ago and being severely hurt, never fully recovered, which with other complications was indirectly the cause of his death.

He was united in marriage with Miss Amelia Balmer, February 21, 1870 at Lancashire, England and to this union eleven children were born, five of whom, together with his widow are left to mourn his death. The children are Mrs. Mary Tackes of Peoria, Samuel, Robert Jr., Jonathan and Harry Taylor of this place.

There are thirteen grandchildren and six great grandchildren.

Mr. and Mrs. Taylor with their family came to America in September 1880 and settled in Peoria county, Illinois, at Bartonville and later came to Princeville where they made their home for the past thirty-five years.

He engaged in the mining business and most of his life with the exception of a few years farming were spent in that business.

Early in life he gave his heart to Christ and United with the Wesley Methodist church were he held his membership until God said, “Come up higher.” Mr. Taylor was a grand old gentleman and a delightful person with whom to converse and visit. He was a man of exemplary character and uprightness of the heart. In his business dealing he was trustworthy and reliable, well thought of and highly respected. Serving well his day and generation, he was a good and faithful servant of the Lord, his adopted county and fellowmen.

He was a member of the Princeville Old Settlers Association.

(Princeville Telephone, Aug. 30, 1928, submitted by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

Mrs. Minnie Tennery

Mrs. Minnie May Tennery, widow of Paris E. Tennery died Sunday at Proctor Endowment in Peoria where she had lived for the past fifteen years.

Born December 13, 1869 in Brimfield she was the daughter of Joseph and Clara Cady Phares. She married Paris Tennery, who died in 1933. She had lived in the Brimfield area her entire life except for fifteen years in Minnesota.

Surviving are a son, George E. of Brimfield, a daughter, Mrs. Geneva Smith of Bismarck, N. D., and three grandsons. Two brothers, Clayton and Raymond Phares reside in California. Two sisters and one brother are deceased.

Mrs. Tennery was a member of an early pioneer family—the Cadys were early settlers here and took an active part in church and civic affairs of her community. For some years before her marriage she was typesetter for the Brimfield News.

(Unknown newspaper, 1959, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

Grover A. Talmage

BRIMFIELD – Grover Arthur Talmage, 80, died yesterday in St. Francis Hospital, Peoria, at ?:45 a.m.

Services will be at 2 p.m. tomorrow at Schreiner Funeral Home, the Rev. Kenneth Stuckey officiating.

Visitation will be today from ? to 9 p.m. at the funeral home. Burial will be in Brimfield Cemetery.

Mr. Talmage had lived at Brimfield for 54 years and formerly had been employed at Caterpillar Tractor Co.

He was born at Milo, Jan. 8, 1886, the son of John and Emma Fletcher Talmage. He married Julia Blundy Feb. 10, 1914, at Peoria.

Surviving are his widow, a son, Lyle of Clarkson, Ontario, Canada; a daughter, Mrs. Kathryn Cluskey of Brimfield; a sister, Mrs. Josephine Sager of Princeton, and seven grandchildren. He was preceded in death by a daughter, a sister and two brothers.

(Unknown newspaper, 1966, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

ELMWOOD – Otha S. Tosh, 58, died of a heart attack Wednesday while at work at his home in Brimfield Township.

He was born in Waverly Sept. 26, 1904, a son of John and Bertha Hancock Tosh. He married Mary Reinhart Dec. 31, 1936.

Survivors are his wife; a daughter, Mrs. Gerry Greenfield; two grandchildren; three brothers, Loy of Franklin, Albert of San Leandro, Calif.; and a half brother, Ray Carter of Excelsior Springs, Mo.

Mr. Tosh was employed by the Princeville Stone Co. He was a member of Local 649 of the Operating Engineers union and recently was recognized with a 25-year pin by the union.

Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Friday at the Patterson Funeral Home in Elmwood. Visitation will be there after 4 p.m. today. Burial will be in Calvary Cemetery.

(Unknown newspaper, 1962, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

Mrs. Julia Tucker

BRIMFIELD – Mrs. Julia M. Tucker, 78, died at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday in her home in rural Brimfield. She is survived by 13 children.

She was born in Little Rock, Ark., Sept. 15, 1884, a daughter of William and Rebecca Whetzel Paul. She married Duane Tucker, March 4, 1903, and he died in 1950.

Mrs. Tucker came to the Brimfield community as a child and has resided there ever since.

Surviving are eight daughters, Miss Lorena Tucker of Brimfield, Mrs. Margaret Daum of Princeville, Mrs. Lucille Harmison, Mrs. Esther Thomas, and Mrs. Blanche Penn, all of Brimfield, Mrs. Juanita Smith of West Chicago, Miss Naomi Tucker of Brimfield and Mrs. Mildred Klein of Princeville; five sons, Paul and Wilbur, both of Brimfield, Ellis of Joliet, Rudolph of Princeville and Orrin of Marion, Ind.; 19 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren. A twin sister and a son, Dale, preceded her in death.

Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday in Brimfield Methodist Church. Visitation is after 3 p.m. Friday at the family home, west of Brimfield. Burial will be in Brimfield Cemetery. Arrangements are in charge of the Patterson Funeral Home in Elmwood.

(Unknown newspaper, 1963, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

Former Resident Dies in Peoria

Mrs. Letha Mae Gingrich Taneyhill, 67, passed away in her home in Peoria last Thursday afternoon. Funeral services were held in the Stone Mortuary in Bartonville last Saturday afternoon and she was laid to rest in the Parkview cemetery.

She was the wife of John D Taneyhill. They were married in Peoria March 10, 1909. She was born in Princeville August 13, 1888, a daughter of John Henry and Julia D. Hammer Gingrich. She attended the First Methodist church and was a member of Creve Coeur Chapter, OES.

Surviving are her husband; one sister, Mrs. Verna McKinley Ramsey of Peoria; and a number of nieces and nephews. Two sisters and one brother preceded her in death.

(Princeville Telephone, 1955, submitted by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

Any contributions, corrections, or suggestions would be deeply appreciated!

Copyright © Janine Crandell & all contributors
All rights reserved