Obituaries/Death Notices

Anna Yates Joseph Yerby
Augusta Yates Lewis Yerby
Eliza Yates Philip Zell
Daniel Yates Nelle Zern
Charles Yerby Herman Ziegler
George Yerby Jeanette Zimmer-Shaw-Rose
Mrs. John Yerby  


Daniel M. Yates

Drugged – A Peoria County Resident Meets With Foul Play – His Alleged Murderess Held For Trial

     The remains of Daniel M. Yates, a resident of Dunlap, Peoria County, were shipped to this city yesterday for final disposition and interment at the hands of his relatives. Yates was a full brother of the ex-officer and former janitor of the court house, and well connected. A few days after Christmas he decided to make a trip out west, and to that end left Dunlap, preparing a temporary home for his family in Princeville. He started for Kansas City to visit his sister, who lives there, and nothing further was learned of him here until the sad tidings of his sudden death were flashed over the wires. The family received no intimation as to the manner of his death, but it was currently reported yesterday that he had been shot. This, as subsequently transpired, was not true, though the unfortunate man came to a violent end and was murdered for the money and personal effects in his possession. The press dispatch account of it says:
     Daniel M. Yates, aged about 35 years, died in a disorderly house in this city yesterday at 8 a.m., from the effects of a dose of laudanum. The evidence before the coroner’s jury showed that Yates had been drugged and robbed. Yates had $160 in his possession the day before visiting the house. Fannie Jackson, a colored woman who purchased the laudanum, and Kitty Johnson, the girl who entertained Yates, were bound over to the grand jury. Yates has a wife and child living near Peoria, Ill, and a sister in Kansas City. He was a man of considerable means and a stranger in the city.
     The deceased was a son of the late Dr. Thomas Yates of Dunlap. His father was killed on the Rock Island track a year or more ago. He was a man of unimpeachable character, domestic in his ‘tastes, quiet and industrious. It is a mystery to his friends how his murderers ever succeeded in luring him into their den. He was the last man in the world for whom one would anticipate a death of the kind. It is a great blow to his family.
     LATER – The body is reported to have reached Dunlap from Rock Island at noon today. The Yates family are not yet advised as to the truth of the press report.
     Another account of it says:
     The sins of D. M. Yates, of Dunlap, Ill., found him out when he died or was killed in a house of ill-fame at St. Joseph, Mo. He had arrived in the city four days ago on his way to Iowa to buy a farm. He had $199 with him, and going on a protracted spree finally reached the place where he died two days ago. There he remained, and Friday night, so the inmates said, sent out for laudanum, of which he took a large dose with fatal effect. His brother-in-law, Mr. Cochran, of Kansas City, went at once and secured the arrest of Frank Jackson, the man who bought the laudanum, and Kitty Johnson, the keeper of the house where Yates died, on the charge of murder, as he believed Yates had been drugged and then murdered for his money, as only a small amount of change was found on his remains. (Peoria Weekly Journal, Thursday, Jan. 12, 1888, transcribed by Sandy MacDonald)

Back to top

Mrs. John Yerby

Mrs. John Yerby of Monica, wife of John Yerby and a former Peoria county teacher for many years, passed away in Methodist hospital in Peoria Jan. 19 following a long illness.

Born near Alta Nov. 15, 1887 she was a daughter of Frank and Matilda Ernst Williams. She married Mr. Yerby April 21, 1931 and has resided in Monica since then. She was active in the civic affairs of Monica serving for many years on the school board.

She is survived by her husband, a daughter, Mrs. Barbara Dunn of Baton Rouge, La., two grandchildren, a brother John Williams of Peoria Heights.

Funeral services were held Saturday morning from St. Mary of Woods Church in Princeville, the Rev. Ralph Gates officiating. Burial was in St. Mary's cemetery. Pall bearers were Robert Sturm, James DeBord, Ralph Shane, Ray Belford, Roscoe Allen and Fred Belford. (Brimfield News, Feb. 3, 1955, submitted by Janine Crandell)

Back to top

George Yerby Takes Own Life

George Yerby, who has been ill and despondent for a number of months past, committed suicide Tuesday morning about 11 o'clock by shooting himself in the head with a shot gun. Mr. Yerby has been carefully watched by the family for some time, but Tuesday morning he eluded them for a few moments, and proceeding to the home of Caspar Strieder Sr., secured a shot gun by telling him that his son Will had said that he could have it. Calmly placing the muzzle to his head he discharged the gun in some manner and fell dead, the body falling across the threshold. Mr. Strieder is an old gentleman, over 84 years of age, and so quickly did Mr. Yerby act in asking for the gun and shooting himself that he hardly realized what was being done until it was all over, and even then was dazed at the suddenness of the tragedy. Some time ago Mr. Yerby lost the sight of an eye, the other was not strong, and his plight preyed upon his mind until he became despondent and frequently threatened to end it all. At the time of the tragedy steps were being formulated to take him away to some institution for treatment. He was 52 years of age and had lived in Brimfield all his life. He leaves his wife, two sons and two daughters.

Deputy Coroner Miller came out from Peoria Tuesday evening and held an inquest at Johnson & Son's undertaking rooms, the verdict being in accordance with the above facts. The members of the jury were John Cluskey, foreman; J. A. Church, J. M. Wilkins, Rudolph Savage, J. H. Phares, and Walter Simmons.

The funeral services will be held this afternoon at the residence at 2 o'clock.

The sympathy of the community goes out to the family in their time of sorrow. (Brimfield News, Jan. 22, 1914, submitted by Janine Crandell)

Back to top


Joseph Yerby, aged 61 years, one day, was born in England and came to this country as a young man and settled in this neighborhood. Eventually he married Susannah Ford, also from England, who became the mother of a family of nine children all of whom are living, and with one exception were present at the funeral service. He enlisted for service during the late War, and though taken prisoner by the rebels, witnessed the successful issue of the campaign, and received subsequently the pension to which his position entitled him. His wife Susannah was instrumental in some degree to his identification with the Episcopal Church. His death though not unexpected, very suddenly took place on Sunday evening June 8th and he was interred at the Cemetery on Tuesday morning June 10th by the members of the G. A. R. of which he was formerly a member. Rev. J. S. Onion officiating at the services. (Brimfield News, Jun. 12, 1890, submitted by Janine Crandell)

Back to top

Lewis Yerby

The old time friends and acquaintances of Mr. Lewis Yerby were surprised to hear of his death, as but very few knew even of his late illness until his remains arrived on the morning train Saturday. For the last three years he had been suffering from Bright's Disease, but was able to be about and at work. On Sunday, Jan. 23, he was stricken with an acute form of the malady, and it was thought best to have him removed to St. Mary's hospital in Galesburg where he could receive the best medical attention. However, in spite of all that could be done for him he grew rapidly worse and eventually paid the debt of all flesh, passing away from this life Friday morning, Jan. 28.

Mr. Yerby was born to Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Yerby at Oak Hill, July 16, 1878, and died at the age of 37 years, 6 months and 12 days.

His boyhood years were spent in the vicinity of Brimfield, and when he grew to be a young man was employed in working on the farm. For the last twelve years he has lived in Galesburg, being employed at the time of his last illness on a stock farm.

On Nov. 12, 1900, he was united in marriage to Miss Edith Boyer. One daughter, Irene, came to gladden their wedded life, but an inscrutable providence permitted her to sojourn with them for only a few years, for she died at the age of seven.

The deceased is survived by two brothers, Wm. Yerby of Laura, John Yerby of Monica, and four sisters, Mrs. Talbert Belford, Brimfield, Mrs. L. T. Mathers, Monica, Mrs. Henry Blundy, Brimfield, and Mrs. Robert Barrett, of Gilman, Iowa.

Mr. Yerby was a hard working, industrious man, belonging to that great majority of the race whose living comes as the fruits of honest toil. He will be missed by his many friends who, with his sorrowing ones deplore his untimely taking off.

The funeral service was held at the home of Mrs. George Yerby in Brimfield, Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock, conducted by Rev. G. W. Scott, and the remains were laid to rest in the Brimfield cemetery. (Brimfield News, Feb. 3, 1916, submitted by Janine Crandell)

Back to top

Charles W. Yerby

Charles William Yerby, son of Susanna Ford and Joseph Yerby, was born in Peoria Feb. 14, 1882 and passed away at his home in Knoxville Tuesday morning Feb. 15.

He is survived by his wife Mabel, two daughters Mrs. DeEtta Tate of Rock Island and Mrs. Frances Turner of Peoria; a brother John Yerby, of Monica; two sisters, Mrs. Lynn Mathers, of Peoria, and Mrs. Rosie Barrett of Grinnell, Iowa; two grandchildren and a great grandchild.

Funeral services were held at Klinck? Chapel, Knoxville, Friday afternoon with burial in Memorial Park, Galesburg. (Brimfield News, Feb. 24, 1949, submitted by Janine Crandell)

Back to top


Philip Zell, a well-known distiller and banker of Peoria, Ill., died yesterday in that city. He was the head of the banking house of Zell, Hotchkiss & Co., President of the Peoria National Bank, and Vice President of the Savings Bank of Peoria.

(New York Times, Apr. 13, 1900, pg. 7, submitted by Janet Turnbull)

Back to top

Mrs. Zern

BRIMFIELD Mrs. Nelle Zern, 89, of Brimfield, died at 5:45 a.m. Saturday at Bel-Wood Nursing Home where she had been a patient six years.

Born in Minnesota March 31, 1875, she was a daughter of George D. and Sarah Cornell Dewey, and was married to John Zern Sept. 10, 1898. He preceded her in death. She was a member of the Methodist Church.

Surviving are two brothers, Clifford Dewey of Peoria and Charles Dewey of Green Lane, Pa.; and one sister, Mrs. Ida Keyworth of Gardner, Mass.

Services will be at 2 p.m. Monday in Schreiner Mortuary at Brimfield, with the Rev. Kenneth Stuckey of Brimfield Union Church officiating. Burial will be in Brimfield Cemetery.

Friends may call at the mortuary from 2 to 5 and from 7 to 9 p.m. today.

(Unknown newspaper, 1964, transcribed by Claire Crandell)

Back to top

Jeanette Zimmer-Shaw-Rose

PEORIA - Jeannette Eileen Rose, 90 of Chattanooga, Tennessee, formerly of Peoria, Illinois, passed away Sunday Nov 22, 2009, in Chatanooga, Tennessee.

Mrs. Rose was born and raised in Peoria and was a retired sales associate for Kmart.

She was preceded in death by her husband, William James Rose Jr.; granddaughter, Katie Rose; parents Otis and Minnie Shaw; and brother, George Zimmer.

Survivors include her children, Patricia (Victor) Rose-Chiodo of Williamsville, N.Y., Roberta (Donald) Rose-Strothers of Chattanooga, Tennessee, and Michael Rose of Murfreesboro, Tennessee; grandchildren, Rebecca, Daniel and Ruth Stothers; Rachel (Kenneth) Strothers-Brock, Vicki (Dan) Chiodo-Unkrich; Jennifer (Steve) Chiodo-Sojka, Mikki Rose and Will Rose; seven great-grandchildren; and former daughter-in-law, Melody Rose.

Her graveside service will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at Swan Lake Memory Gardens in Peoria, Illinois. The Rev. Donald Strothers will officiate. Arrangements are by the Preston-Hanley Funeral Home, Pekin Chapel.

(Peoria Journal Star, Nov. 24, 2009, submitted by Pamela Selberg-Dries-Lewis)

Back to top

Death of Eliza Yates

Eliza Yates, daughter of Joseph and Jane Scoot Eckley, was born in Stark County, Ill. September 27th, 1840 and died in the Procter hospital in Peoria, Ill. Saturday evening, April 4th 1915 at 9 o'clock of heart failure, from which she was a sufferer nearly all her life.

She was one of five by her fathers first marriage, who lived to manhood and womanhood, and the last to be taken. Here brothers were George, who went to California in the early fifties who is supposed to be dead as he has not been heard of for nearly sixty years, James was a member of the 55th. Illinois Volunteers and after serving his full term came and moved to Kansas where a number of years ago he died very suddenly, Catherine was the wife of Fountain Edwards, died in 1900, and Sarah Jane, wife of George Springer died in 1902. She leaves a half brother, Joseph of Peoria, Ill. Several years ago she was united in marriage to Thomas Yates of Peoria County and afterward moved to Kansas where he died. Mrs. Yates was a woman highly respected, a true Christian character. She will be remembered by the older citizens as a cheerful, jolly person who always looked on the bright side of things and made life sunny and never went about with gloom pictured on her countenance.

She died at the age of 74 years, 6 months and 8 days. Rev. W. H. Witter, her cousin of Farmington, Ill. conducted the funeral service, which was held at Stringtown, April 6th, 1915. Interment was in the adjoining cemetery.

(Princeville Telephone, April 1915, transcribed by Mike McMullen)

Back to top

Any contributions, corrections, or suggestions would be deeply appreciated!

Copyright © Janine Crandell & all contributors
All rights reserved