submitted by Janine Crandell
Bell School, located on
Bell School Road, was active from 1868 through 1947.
At first it was calIed the Kaighan School, named after John Kaighan who lived
It later was named Bell School because of the large bell which hung in the belfry.
The name was then changed to Oak Grove and finally changed back to Bell School.
The first school building was built
in 1868 but burned to the ground in 1888.
In 1889, the community built another school, using the same foundation
from the first school building.
The school is currently a private
Photo taken in 2011 by J. Crandell
Any contributions, corrections, or suggestions would be deeply appreciated!
Peoria County Home Page
Copyright © Janine Crandell & all contributors
All rights reserved