Peoria High School
aka
CENTRAL HIGH

click on thumbnail for a larger image...

The first Peoria High School (Central High School) was located at Monroe and Fayette Sts.
The building was first used in 1885. After an addition was completed in 1895, it
served the area until 1916. It was razed in 1960 to make way for Interstate 74.
submitted by Janine Crandell

 

The second Peoria High School, located at North and Richmond Streets, opened in 1916.
Peoria High School goes back to 1856 and is considered the oldest high school in Illinois.
submitted by Janine Crandell

 

Civil War Memorial
submitted by Janine Crandell

 

All photos below were submitted by Janine Crandell

Please click on thumbnails for a larger image...

First Valedictorian: Lucetta Howell: 1858

List of valedictorians/salutatorians: 1858-1924

 

Please click on thumbnails for a larger image...

Herbert Jamison: Class of 1893

Wilbur Forrest: Class of 1908

Johnny Zinser: Class of 1921

Clarence Hinton: Class of 1934

1940 Golf Team

1941 Tennis Team

 

 


Any contributions, corrections, or suggestions would be deeply appreciated!

Peoria County Home Page


Copyright Janine Crandell & all contributors
All rights reserved